45 gallon stocking help-- angels? monos?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lauren

Say hello to my lilttle friends
Aug 9, 2003
So Cal
Visit site
This time for sure, I am getting a 45 gallon hex tank in two weeks. I am moving over some of the fish from my 20 gallon into it, then giving the 20 gallon to my sister, and the betta gets the 10 gallon tank (maybe he will get some tank mates too).

the 45 gallon will have: 7 rasboras, 3 small cories, maybe two gold barbs (might return them), and maybe a hand full of ottos.

I was thinking about getting some blue/gold rams, and maybe adding some monos or angels. I really, really like monos, but I am thinking that they are not right for ths tank :( it seems as though they get too large, too agressive (I don't want them eating my fish) and like to be in groups larger than 45 gallons allow.

I don't like angels as much as monos, but I think a pair of small angels might be better. Opinions?

How would two small angels and three blue or gold rams be in a 45 gallon set up with my other fish?

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
I'd actually go with a single angel in a 45g. Angels are best in odd numbers - with the exception of a breeding pair, two kept together may fight. Especially with other territorial fish in the tank, I wouldn't chance it unless you've got another tank you can move one angel to if they don't get along.

Lauren

Aug 9, 2003
So Cal
Visit site
and the tank probably won't be large enough for three, huh? I will keep that in mind. The second tank down from the 45 is my 20 gallon, so I would have to return a fish that doesn't get along.

Gee, they seem to get along fine at the pet store, huh? :)

nickbuter

nickbuter
Oct 27, 2004
Madison, Wisconsin
I have two angels in a 55 and they are doing great, in fact they are actually very good friends :) They came from the same tank at the store, so that might have something to do with it (?)

Dr_Woo

AC Members
Jul 4, 2004
Visit site
I guess no one decided to mention that monos thrive in brackish water? Yah, that's right, just checked the species profile.

Lauren

Aug 9, 2003
So Cal
Visit site
Dr_Woo said:
I guess no one decided to mention that monos thrive in brackish water? Yah, that's right, just checked the species profile.
I did read that. another reason why it sounds like they won't work.

Lauren

Aug 9, 2003
So Cal
Visit site
I would REALLY like more advise on this.

cdawson

AC Members
Jan 6, 2003
Vancouver BC
Visit site
Dr_Woo said:
They're actually a SW fish and need SW when they're about 1 1/2 years old. They won't survive long term in FW and need a very large tank and at least 5 of them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store