More questions on ZigZag and Black Molly

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Yo_Loach

AC Members
Nov 28, 2004
undisclosed
www.drunkduck.com
from this previous post i made:
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39918
a kind fellow informed me that ZigZags are erticularly suseptable to infection, and intestinal parasites. any way I could prevent this from ever occuring?

Also, My black molly has white around it's gills, I'm not sure, it doesnt look like Ich, and when it faces the light it turns a golden bronze colour, so i'm not sure what that is.

Any advice would be appreciated. Merry Christmas!

Mako

EET MOR KATFISH
Nov 19, 2001
Wake Forest, NC
Visit site
Is the zigzag the loach in your avatar? If so, I've kept them before (though I didn't know, nor did the lfs know, their exact identification). They were plenty hardy, but then again I was meticulous about what went into this tank. Good eaters, active, and peaceful.

The molly sounds normal to me. Black mollies often show white in the gill area. So long as they act happy (quite obvious in a molly) and breath normally, worry none! If the bronze (which I've seen in healthy mollies) begins to grow, suspect "velvet disease", which can be bad news. Treat with acriflavine from the lfs per instructions IF you really think this could be the bronze color. But don't worry too much, it's probably just normal color variations.

Mako

EET MOR KATFISH
Nov 19, 2001
Wake Forest, NC
Visit site
I just noticed that the zig zag is an eel, likely a mastecembalid (sp?), which are prone to parasitic infections. That doesn't mean you WILL have a problem, but it does mean you just bought yourself a very good reason to use a quarantine tank for new critters coming in.

Yo_Loach

AC Members
Nov 28, 2004
undisclosed
www.drunkduck.com
Oh! Thank You!, I will be purchasing a 5 gallon quarintine tank, and a 3.5 for my frogs, and yes that thing in my avatar is not the ZigZag, that's a Yo Yo Loach, zig zag, is a tire track eel. thank you for your help! quartining them and rinsing the up before introducing themsounds like a good idea, but i dont think the pet store should be or is selling diseased fish, but you never know! thanks much!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store