"Trimming" plants

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

virtuoso735

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
How would you trim a plant? If my sword plant gets too tall, would I just cut it on the leaf, though it looks wierd like that? Or would I pluck the whole stem off? How about Val? Would I just cut off the top half or something? Or is trimming something you do only with bunched plants like anacharis or hornwort?

Thanks for your replies...

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Somerdale, New Jersey USA
Getting many swords to stay small is a major problem for hobbiests with all but the largest of tanks. The fact is that many of them just grow too large for tanks under 50 - 75 gals., and I've heard people with 100+ gals. complain that they have taken over their tanks.
To help reduce size width-wise, pull the older, outside leaves off the plant, at the base, as needed. Many people do this because they tend to shade their neighbors if not pruned back. Cutting leaves at mid-point will look unnatural and ugly and in most cases will kill the leaf.
Height is a problem that is not fixable IME. They just get very tall and hard to cope with.
Vals come in many varieties and should not be cut at mid-leaf for the same reasons as above. If height is a problem you should look into other, lower varieties.
Stem plants, ofcourse are much more ammenable to pruning.

Len

virtuoso735

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
I had a val with a damaged top part, so I cut it mid way. Will it grow back to regular form where I cut it?

aquabillpers

AC Members
Jan 21, 2004
SE PA, USA
Visit site
I've cut back jungle vals and the leaf has died. On the other hand, I regularly cut back V. spiralis with no ill effects. So the answer to trimming vals is . . it depends.

Merry Christmas!

Bill

flyingfish

time to play!
Dec 26, 2004
I trim my large swords to keep them small by cutting as much of the stem off as close to the plant base as possible. Otherwise the stem part often dies and over time they build up and cause root rot. I also have dwarf swords that have never grown tall enough to need pruning. I think the tallest I've ever seen it get is just under 5-6 inches. Swords are the one plant I find that are inexpensive and hard to kill without taking over.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store