Melafix and Plecos? And Fin Rot or Aggression?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jeff23

AC Members
Dec 11, 2004
I think my 2 plecos have cases of fin rot going on, and I was going to get some melafix to add to the tank.

I did a search and came up with some info but a lot people say that melafix shouldn't be used on sensitive fish like catfish and plecos.

I was wondering because I have a king tiger, gold nugget, and 1 tetra in the tank. It's a 29gal.

I've had the fish in the tank for over 2 years and haven't had a problem. I was wondering if maybe the plecos are getting aggressive or if it is fin rot.

Both plecos are about 4" long but they both hang out in their seperate hiding spots and I don't ever see them fight.

The king tiger has the most damage, his tail fin is pretty bad and his dorsal fin is slightly damaged. The gold nugget has mild damage to his tail and dorsal fins just small sections of the yellow seams on his tail and dorsal fins are missing.

So to break it all down. Do you think it's aggression toward each other or a case of fin rot? I know 29gal is little small but the plecos aren't very big. I am going to get a 55 gallon eventually but I don't have room for a bigger tank right now.

Is melafix ok to use on plecos?? I want to treat them as soon as possible but I don't want the medication to do more harm than good.

Last edited:

clayt101

Registered Abuser
I've used melafix on plecos, but have not noticed any positive or negative results. I would cut the dosage in half, then change the water as it says on the instructions.

XMAN

AC Members
Nov 24, 2004
RI
My opinion regarding Melafix, is that it works better as a preventative, not as a medication. I have used it regularly to prevent disease, such as fin rot, but have had to use other medications to help the fish when they have gotten fin rot.

Jeff23

AC Members
Dec 11, 2004
what other types of medication should I use??

everything I have read says use melafix as a treatment for fin rot, not much else is mentioned as far as other types of medication for treatment of fin rot.

Napoli

AC Members
Jan 11, 2004
New Brunswick, NJ
Visit site
Jeff23,
Would you let me know if the Melafix worked for the fin rot? I just had a highfin butterfly pleco die from tail/fin rot, and now my albino rainbow shark seems to have the same thing. I've been treating with mela and pima fix for three days now but haven't noticed any difference.
Thanks,
napoli

chrisinha

AC Members
Jan 5, 2005
brooklyn, ny
i have an albino cory which had his tailfin nipped off. he is in a 10 g tank with other 3 cories, a pleco, 4 mollies and some guppies. i've used melafix and it seems to be helping him since his tailfin is growing back, but i dont know for sure. he's still recovering. i hope he can make it.

L046

AC Members
Nov 29, 2002
Visit site
I have used Melafix (and PimaFix too) many times on all my pleco tanks and they (those plecos) dont seems to mind them at all. Yes this medication is very good for treating fin torn injuries.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store