what do you feed plecos?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rdelbalso

AC Members
Jan 13, 2003
Boulder, CO
Visit site
I just got a dwarf pleco. I am not sure if its the proper name. I had an algae mess and within three days he has cleaned up. What do I feed him now? How much algae do they need to not feed them additionally? I feed the other guys live worms, or brine shrimp and occasionally flake food, but they pretty much eat it all.

Thanks

clayt101

Registered Abuser
I would recomend feeding bottom feeder tablets. This is very easy to use. Just drop one in when the lights go out, that way the other fish will be asleep.

Frank_Carr

AC Members
Jan 13, 2003
Atlanta, GA, USA
Visit site
The native algae in most tanks is not enough to feed a pleco for long. They'll graze it up in a few days, as you've seen, and new growths will have trouble getting established. You'll need to feed him algae tablets (available at your LFS) and/or bits of veggies (zuchini is a favorite) sunk to the bottom using a feeder clip. Your pleco will starve if you don't provide food beyond the native tank algae.

Sometimes plecos will eat other stuff that gets down to the bottom. Most aren't terribly picky and will tend to become more eclectic in their tastes as they get older. But don't rely on this.

PeteSC

AC Members
Nov 17, 2001
SC, USA
pub48.ezboard.com
I usually drop some algae tabs in a couple of times a week.
I do notice the pleco eating some of the Oscar food crumbs at times.....and actually saw it rise to the surface to snatch a floating pellet. I took this as a sign I wasn't feeding it enough!

About once a week, I'll put a big tablespoon of frozen spinach or frozen 'greens' in a cup, and microwave it for 4-5 minutes. Whan it cools a bit, I'll dump it in the tank. The pleco eats most of it, eventually.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Before we got the internet I thought the algea in the tank was enough till one day I saw my pleco at the top of the tank upsidedown I thought it was dead then it started moving going after the pellets I had in there for my oscar I then found out there wasnt enough food for him. My current two plecos get algea tablets every day at least one or two.

Tightdog1

Chinaman Can!
Sep 2, 2002
Clayton/Concord, CA
bottom feeder tablets or algae discs.

elmj

AC Members
Jun 4, 2003
Visit site
i know this is a really old thread but after what NJ Devils Fan posted in reply to my msg, i wanted to ask you guys that have fed these tablets before how you get them to the otto cat before the rest of the tanks goes for it!! i heard ottos are very shy fishes and won't fight with other fishes for food!

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
I used to feed them algae disks (forget which brand) every other day and veggies once a week but have come acrossed this new stuff that my pleco seems to love. It might be the same thing as the algae disks but is called "veggie wafers" from HBH Enterprises (that's the full name, otherwise the logo just says HBH). It says it's for all algae eaters and is "loaded with algae". My cories seem to also love them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store