Digital Camera Advice

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
I'm looking into the Olympus 8080 Wide Zoom camera. Can some offer advice and experience with digital cameras under $700...?

Changing out lenses is not important to me since the 8080 offers a wide range of 'zoom'.

Also, I'm trying to figure out if the Olympus 8080 takes quality "low light" images. :confused:

I read about some cams on www.dpreview.com but would like to hear from you.

Thanks.

:)

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
We've owned a couple of Olympus cameras and have been quite happy with them. I don't have the digital model you cite, but we have an Olympus 2040 2 megapixel camera and it's great. Good opticals and excellent electronics.

HTH,
Jim

FL Knifemaker

Arming the Free World
Oct 20, 2004
Central FL
125Joe,

Just my 2 cents........

If I was going to spend $700, I'd beg, borrow or steal another $2-300 and go with a digital SLR. I'm facing that choice now, best bang for the buck in a lower end SLR.

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
FL Knifemaker said:
125Joe,

Just my 2 cents........

If I was going to spend $700, I'd beg, borrow or steal another $2-300 and go with a digital SLR. I'm facing that choice now, best bang for the buck in a lower end SLR.
It might be me..., but I'm not sure what you mean.. .. :confused:

FL Knifemaker

Arming the Free World
Oct 20, 2004
Central FL
Joe,

Here's a link that explains the differences between a digital SLR and point and shoot type cameras way better than I could!! The two main things I like about the SLR type of digital is being able to change lenses and manually focus just like a 35mm film camera. It all comes down to providing a lot more manual control over your photography. You can take quick, autofocus, point and shoot shots with them as well.

The reason I suggested it is because for the first time in history the high end point and shoots and lower end SLR's are just about overlapping in price range.

http://www.scrapjazz.com/resources/article_384.shtml

DEdwards

AC Members
Nov 11, 2004
The DSLR chips are better than the typical point-n-shoot or compact digital cameras. The DSLR chips aren't compressed and are actually much larger than the compacts cameras, thus giving you better resolution and better picture quality with the same MP. I own 2 of the Digital Rebel cameras from Canon and can blow a photo upto 20"x30" without any loss in quality. BTW I am a wedding photographer on the side...lol

saltyc

AC Members
Aug 24, 2004
Kansas
I don't know much about digital cameras, but you might want to check out consumer reports' website-they rate all that stuff during the year, mark a few as "best buys", etc. We check almost every major electronics purchase we make with them, and other stuff too-even ceiling fans!!

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Olympus 8080

I did it.

Link: 8080

Link: Olympus VS. Canon

Every review I read about Sony is that there's a "purple fringing" that can't be ignored in the 8 megapixel class..

....I can't wait..!
:D

FL Knifemaker

Arming the Free World
Oct 20, 2004
Central FL
You will be quite happy with that one.

My old Nikon is still working OK but I REEEEEALLY need to upgrade ASAP. :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store