My Red Terror's being a *******....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CaptainMorgan

AC Members
Dec 27, 2004
Here's a run down of my tank, its a 29 Gallon, with 2 cave type peices of scenery, and 2 3 inch inner diameter peices of Bamboo about 6 inches long. I have no plants or fake plants, the Red Terror doesn't like them. The fish in the tank include 1 Jack Dempsey 4 inchs, 1 Convict 2.5, 1 red fin shark, 1 pleco, 1 cory cat, and 1 Red Peacock, and the Red Terror about 7 inches. I don't knwo if it is the size of the tank that causes the Red Terror to be extremely aggressive, or just his nature, but I have been told they all go together fine. All of the fish started off the same size about 3 years ago, but the Terror kinda took off and got bigger than the others. Lately he has been attacking all of the other fish, but I don't want to get rid of it, it is a very nice fish. I had to get rid of the last dominant fish in the tank the same size, my Red Devil which was doing the same thing, which killed 4 other larger Red devils at the pet store that took mine back. As soon as the devil was removed the terror wasn't picked on anymore, and stepped up to take the devils place.

I just got a 55 gallon tank yesterday so everyone will be migrating to the 55, and the 29 will beocme a saltwater tank.

I just hope everyone will get along in the 55.

Eric

wynn

experienced noob
Nov 25, 2004
I've never kept a red terror myself, but i've read that they pretty much can't be kept with any other fish...no matter what size the tank. Don't know how true it is, but that is what i've read. You pretty much can't even keep a breeding pair together without some sort of divider...again, this is just what i've read.

Good luck with your 55.

Shierkahn

AC Members
Jul 30, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
Is your Terror a Festea or a Urothalmus?? If it's a Festea your 55 is no were near big enough for that fish alone or with others for that matter. Which ever one it is it's gonna be pretty aggresive. If it's a Festea your other fish aren't gonna stand a chance. Festeas' require at least a 100g tank by itself. Another factor is gonne be M/F?? Females tend to be more agg. than males. Bottomline is....... If you want to keep these fish together you're gonna have to get you a bigger tank, 125g ++. The bigger the better. It'is possible for these fish to live together but, they are gonna have to have the room for them to have there own territories.

CaptainMorgan

AC Members
Dec 27, 2004
There is no Red Devil in there anymore, he has been long gone. I have a local shop that will take the terror for me. Should help out my tank. I got the 55 set up a little while ago, much more scenery.

Eric

Shierkahn

AC Members
Jul 30, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
Do you have a pic? I could tell if I could see it. Where are you located? I might be interested in aquiring it if it's a Festae. Mine died about that size and would really like to get another one. But, my breeders pairs haven't been breeding lately.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store