Ich Salt Treatment Frequency

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

davidtcb1

AC Members
Aug 20, 2004
Nashville TN area
I started treating my 75 gallon tank for Ich today, using salt for the first time. Had used Quick Cure in times past. Based on what I have read, I am planning on treating it with 2 tsp of salt per gallon. So far, I have dissolved 1/4 tsp/gallon per hour for the last four hours to reduce stress on the fish. Then I plan to slowly work in the second half of the treatment over the next several hours and tomorrow. Should I repeat this process daily for the next 3-4 days or is this initial treatment enough to hopefully take care of the problem? Am slowy raising the temp to between 82 and 85 deg as well.

Thanks..

qtaquaman

AC Members
Dec 16, 2004
The levels of salt your using are about twice what id use. Keeping the tank in the dark helps too. If you treat every day with that much salt the salinity would effectivily be doubled every day, To add more salt you would have to do a 100% turnover of your water and still keep the same specific gravity.

davidtcb1

AC Members
Aug 20, 2004
Nashville TN area
Thanks!

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
That amount of salt is fine and won't hurt your fish in the short term. 1 tsp should also do the trick. Add new salt to cover the amount taken out during daily water changes. So if you take out 10 gallons per day add 10-20 tsp of salt back. Keep the treatment up for a minimum of a week after you see the last signs of ich.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store