Con rubbing her belly in cave

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bball4life

Hops
Nov 27, 2004
What does it mean when my female con is going into a cave and rubbing her belly on the walls of it? Also when she is not rubbing her belly on the walls she just sits in there except when she comes out to eat. Her and my male are moving rocks out of the cave and there is a big pile of gravel right outside of the cave.

bball4life

Hops
Nov 27, 2004
My cons laid eggs! Im so excited. I found out what she was doing is fanning them. What color are the eggs if they are fertilized?

Mako

EET MOR KATFISH
Nov 19, 2001
Wake Forest, NC
Visit site
Lol, no surprizes here! Cons will breed in a toilet if that's all they have (and enjoy it in the process).

Here's what you need to do............... (I'm willing to bet 90% of the eggs are fertilized).

1) Choose one of two ways--- let the fish raise the babies, the most interesting, or raise them yourself, the safest. If you let the parents raise them, they will likely eat the entire first batch. Dont' fret, within a month or so you'll have more eggs. Remove any other fish in the tank, the cons will terrorize the poor things. I don't care if you have a tiger shark and 50 pirhanas, the cons will win ;) .

2) Either start NOW a brine shrimp hatch or buy frozen BABY brine shrimp. Sometimes people have raised convict fry on flake food ground with a mortar and pestle, but you get a big mortality rate with that method (not to mention a polluted tank). Feed lightly, and pipe the baby brines directly to the little fish STARTING on day two (they have a yolk sac at hatching, they won't eat till it's used up). Don't feed much at all until you see the little guys dashing at the brines and eating them.

3) Be prepared for the unsettling problem of not having anywhere to put the babies--- pet shops are often overloaded with them. You may have to give them away. I usually did until I stopped breeding them.

Tightdog1

Chinaman Can!
Sep 2, 2002
Clayton/Concord, CA
yes the eggs will be a brownish color for up to a week then they will hatch or turn white with fungus (means not fertilized). after they hatchj about another week and the fry will be free swimming, and you will have little Cons.

Mako

EET MOR KATFISH
Nov 19, 2001
Wake Forest, NC
Visit site
Good stuff from Tightdog. Also, leaving the parents with the eggs is a good way of making sure any fungus-infected eggs get removed, otherwise you'll *have* to remove them yourself. The risk is the parents eating the eggs (or the fry), which is a common, maybe even usual, thing for the parents to do for the first batch or two.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store