Needle Fish with red fin shark and rainbow shark

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Wildiana

wildiana
Sep 27, 2004
Syracuse, New York
I'm thinking of getting a needle fish for my 30g, at this time i have 1 red tail shark and a rainbow shark, i was told that he needle fish will swallow small fish, are my sharks aggressive enought to defend themselves or will they be eating by the needle fish???

mudvayne

AC Members
Feb 28, 2004
New Hampshire
That is a Needle Nose Gar

I Have one that is in freshwater setup and it thrives Perfectly in its tank
it is About 7 Inches Long And is in a 55g Tank w/Silver $'s, Tinfoil Barb, Bala Sharks, Crayfish, Iridesent Shark, Convicts, A Big Pleco, A Leopard Puffer, Bumble Bee Cats, A lot of cories, And 3 Dojo Loaches.

I'm Feeding Her 2 Different Types Of Feeder Fish:Feeder Guppies And These Slightly Bigger Types I Don't Know What They Are Called. I Also Have A Net Breeder In The Tank That is Holding 4 Female feeder Guppies And 1 Male Feeder Guppie So That I Don't Always Have To Go To The Store To Get Her Food.

Besides That She Is A Lovely Fish That Is Fun To Watch And Fun To Watch Eat.

ToFind Out More Info On Them You Can Go To www.liveaquaria.com They Have Alot Of Info On Them Under Freshwater Section In The Sub-Group Misc. Fish.

Mudvayne

Wildiana

wildiana
Sep 27, 2004
Syracuse, New York
awsome!!! thanks, I realy would like one. this is what i'm thinking...

30G at this point..

1 rainbow shark
1 red tail shark
small school of tiger barbs
and now i'm thinking of 1 needle fish

any special ph or heat?
currently ph is at 8 (even with a piece of drift wood which still havn't been filled with water, currently holding it down with a big rock, whic is lava)
temp is at 78.

no amonia no nitrite, nitrate is at 0.5

Wildiana

wildiana
Sep 27, 2004
Syracuse, New York
ok, sorry for being a pain however,

i had this problem with my silver tip at first, and did find that it was a brackish fish but with this needle nose i'm getting 50/50 info.

i'm being very picking do to i now have a black molly that is not doing so well, that because i did not do my homework land believed my LFS, now the molly is losing its color and looks like its been drag by a tracker.

my silver tip is hanging on and i'm still looking for a home for him.

so sorry if i'm asking to much ???? i just don't want to keep doing this to my fish :sad

mudvayne

AC Members
Feb 28, 2004
New Hampshire
There is one problem the needle nose gar will probaly eat the tiger barbs depending on thier size.

I have driftwood in my tank to that is being held in by a piece of rock.

The Gar really dosn't pay to much attention to it because my crayfish and convicts in habit it so they just keep out of the holes in the driftwood.

The water chemistry looks right and you are going to have to get him two different types of feeder fish:Guppies and some that are slightly bigger than the guppies.

Watch out when you put your hand into the tank they will bite it if it gets to close them. They have been known to mistake a finger as food. If you have him for a long time you might be able to train him to hand feed but it takes some time to get it down. I wouldn't try to hand feed him until you have had him for atleast a couple of months maybe more then that.

They can be kept in schools. It is said that you either should keep one or keep in a school of 3 or more.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store