What is my Emerald Crab Doing?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

valval1029

AC Members
Aug 29, 2004
I bought an emerald crab 2 days ago... I noticed his (her?) belly is opened sometimes. My first thought was, pregnant? I remember how the pregnant females looked when I used to go crabbing when I was little...

Anyway, the crab opens it and keeps putting his claws in there... sometimes to his mouth which confused me! I looked with a flashlight and it does look like little black things in there...

If she IS pregnant... how does this work? Would they survive?

If this ISN"T a pregnancy, what is it? Thanks!

(I JUST LOOKED AGAIN AND THESE ARE ALMOST DEFINITELY EGGS!)

Last edited:

Mako

EET MOR KATFISH
Nov 19, 2001
Wake Forest, NC
Visit site
You *may* have a gravid female. If so, I wouldn't expect any of the young to survive, but then again I've never read up on raising emeral crab larvae. Chance are they are a pelagic (open water) larvae that go through several shape phases before becoming a crab-looking thing. If you have any anemones or carnivorous corals, they won't mind at all! :rolleyes:

Other than that possibility, I dunno..... My emerald just pokes around munching on whatever it is he's hungry for....

gje

AC Members
Nov 23, 2004
it would be best to read up about it as i never even considerd until reading this how crabs do give birth how do you know what sex they are or are they to hard to identify as i have to emeralds which came on my live rock one is out and about all day munching on anything he can find but the other i didnt even now i had until i saw these little hairy legs sticking out this hole it was kind of creepy knowing something was in there but not knowing what it was until i got a quick look at him when the lights went out but i still havent got a 100% id on him cause he is more nocturnal than the other allso how do emeralds get on with cleaner shrimps if anyone knows...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store