Cory eating POOP?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Paroon Shark

AC Members
Dec 10, 2004
i put a cory in my tank earlier in the week because a guy at the pet store says that his cory eats ****...when i put him in after a few days the **** seems to be subsiding.could this be happening??

Paroon Shark

AC Members
Dec 10, 2004
i thought he was too but my tank is almostclean from poo...and i have a pleco so ther is a noticable difference

Aderynglas

AC Members
Feb 4, 2003
Visit site
LOL no they don't eat poop, but they may be stirring things up so that its not so obvious sitting on the tank bottom. If you have a good filter intake it may be some is getting sucked in and processed there! :D

anonapersona

Reads a lot, knows a little
Mar 7, 2003
Houston
Visit site
overfed fish

Overfed fish may be passing a lot of food undigested. In my cichlid tank, any falling poo gets attacked by blood parrots, there must be some nutrition left there I'd guess.

But, more likely the cory is finding dropped food and as he whisks the bottom is just breaking up the feces that you saw, now they are further down in the gravel, still there, rotting, you just don't notice them.

Step up the gravel vacs or get rid of the pleco.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
I would agree that it is probably just the cory's constant sweeping around that is cleaning the tank up a bit.

And yes, get a gravel vacuum and clean.

By the way cory catfish like groups. If possible you should get at least 2 more.

ruthyrich

Registered Member
Oct 17, 2007
Yes, corys do eat poop. I have a panda corydora. I am new to this species and I wouldn't have beleived it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes. My cory, "Hoover", swam up and ate some comming right out of another fishes bottom. So, yes, would have to be the answer.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store