Finally found a use for my Whisper 5: breeding multipunctatuses!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
I finally found something for which my old Whisper 5 filter is good (since it's a lousy filter): breeding synodontis multipunctatus. Let me explain: I have a tank that houses several yellow labs and a pair of syn. mulitpunctatuses. About 7 or 8 months ago, I was cleaning the Whisper and found a number of little wriggly things in the filter and impeller wells. These things were about the size of a pencil lead, maybe a bit larger. Upon closer inspection, I discovered they were multipunctatus fry that apparently had been sucked up by the filter intake and that had been living happily in the filter itself. I released them into a growout tank and all 9 survived.

Since then, I've twice removed this filter and found between 1 and 8 fry swimming around in there. I've since read that one of the ways people breed Syn. petricola and multipunctatus is by rigging up some sort of syphon to pull the fertilzed eggs and/or small fry out of the main tank area (so they aren't predated on). My Whisper seems to be doing just this; with the intake near the substrate, it must be sucking up the newly hatched fry and safely depositing them in the filter where they mature. (I've never seen any fry in the main tank.)

I think this is interesting and wanted to share. If you have a Whisper that you think is junk, it might be useful as a syno fry incubator. Now if I could just get the stupid filter to reliably start after power outages....

JIm

tnlguinn

flathead owner
Jan 26, 2003
So IN
just so you know, with mine, i use a quart cup and dip water out of my tank and dump it into the filter to restart it if i've drained it, but it restarts itself if the power goes out. it didn't till i replaced the pickup, the black piece wore out. but your right, its a crappy filter.

NDferro

MmMmM Cheese!
May 12, 2005
Everett, WA
JSchmidt said:
I finally found something for which my old Whisper 5 filter is good (since it's a lousy filter): breeding synodontis multipunctatus. Let me explain: I have a tank that houses several yellow labs and a pair of syn. mulitpunctatuses. About 7 or 8 months ago, I was cleaning the Whisper and found a number of little wriggly things in the filter and impeller wells. These things were about the size of a pencil lead, maybe a bit larger. Upon closer inspection, I discovered they were multipunctatus fry that apparently had been sucked up by the filter intake and that had been living happily in the filter itself. I released them into a growout tank and all 9 survived.

Since then, I've twice removed this filter and found between 1 and 8 fry swimming around in there. I've since read that one of the ways people breed Syn. petricola and multipunctatus is by rigging up some sort of syphon to pull the fertilzed eggs and/or small fry out of the main tank area (so they aren't predated on). My Whisper seems to be doing just this; with the intake near the substrate, it must be sucking up the newly hatched fry and safely depositing them in the filter where they mature. (I've never seen any fry in the main tank.)

I think this is interesting and wanted to share. If you have a Whisper that you think is junk, it might be useful as a syno fry incubator. Now if I could just get the stupid filter to reliably start after power outages....

JIm
i had this happen with an aquaclear 150 and some molly fry

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store