Tetra Heater Killed My Fish!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Murphster

AC Members
Nov 28, 2004
I recently set up an old 10g tank for a couple of elderly corys but needed a new heater so I bought a Tetra and everything has been fine for the two weeks or so it's been set up - until last night. The thermostat stuck and I woke up to find the temp over 90 and two very dead fish. I threw the piece of #!%& in the gargbage where it belongs!

DON'T BUY CRAPPY TETRA HEATERS - THEY'LL KILL YOUR FISH!!!!

Paccula

AC Members
Dec 14, 2004
Vancouver, BC, Canada
sorry for the loss of your fish.
I would think tetra would reimburse you for the cost of the heater and fish. I know its nothing compared to having your fish back, but that heater must have been defective. although I havn't used that brand of heaters before.

FishKeeper-16

1977 Mustang Cobra
Sep 28, 2004
Wheelersburg Ohio, USA
I had one and the outer black covering started to chip off and float in the water but it did not hurt any fish but I did not want to take a chance so I replaced it.

Jason01

AC Members
Dec 9, 2004
Clermont, IA
My AGA one that came with my walmart 29 gallon kit failed in about a year. I cought it when the temp was at 86. Needless to say, the tank was without heat that night. I tried it again(for only a few min) in my 55, and it is stuck.

Course, the heater my sister got lasted all of 10 days(It was the one that a very trusted LFS reccomened as being one that they used in all their tanks, course, this is the same LFS that keeps bettas in 1/2 cup of water). But, it didn't stick on, it exploded. I'm going to have to double check on the brand of it, cause, I know all of you will want to know what it was now. It was a good thing that I convinced her and her B/F to fishless cycle, cause I think the explosion woulda killed any fishes.......

Murphster

AC Members
Nov 28, 2004
Sorry about the angry nature of the original post buy I had just gotten up to discover the malfunction and was upset. I know that any piece of equipment is subject to failure. In my 90g I use two smaller submersible heaters in the wet/dry sump. That way if one fails - on or off - I have more time to notice the problem before it threatens the fish but that's not much of an option for the 10g. I did e-mail Tetra and to their credit they did email me back right away and asked that I send the heater back to them, that they would test it and get back to me. But for a heater I paid a little over 10$ for at the LFS (and could have gotten for about 7$ mail order), I'm not going to go through the expense and hassle of sending it back. I do think, though, that I will spend the extra $ on a higher quality heater and perhaps it may not be as prone to failure. I've also seen devices that have digital readouts for temp. with overtemp and undertemp alarms for about 30$ at www.thatfishplace.com. Perhaps worth the investment.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store