Oscar trouble; septicemia or bloat wtd???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aflownes

Registered Member
Jan 5, 2005
I have a nine year old Oscar that until a recent tank change has been okay and disease free. I went to a pet shop and told the lady what type of filtration I had and she told me that I was defeating the purpose of filtration by having an undergravel filter and a water filter (whisper 20 series) She told me that I should get rid of one or the other to keep the water clear. So when I did a 75% water chang I also pulled up the gravel filter and noticed how dingly the water was (almost black) I started putting fresh water in imideatly and changed the water filters and it was clear a little over an hour later. Well now my Oscar has a disintended stomach. I noticed just a few days ago that he/she was lying on the side of the tank at the botom, leaning. I have been taking note that for the past few weeks he/she has not been eating but just a bite here and there. I thought at first it was the temp of the tank because I do not have a water heater for the tank and it has been getting as low as 60 deg. I don't know if there is any cure for this other than taking he/she out of the tank and putting them into isolation and waiting to see what happens.....( I also have a 9yr old silver dollar and alage eater) I don't believe this could be pregency because the Silver dollar has started pecking at the oscar and where he would fight back he/she is now just sitting there floating.

cal26w

AC Members
Jan 17, 2005
u need that heater for the oscar to live the temp is too low for a cichlid of that type

jagarundi

Bonafide, 100% Cichlid Lover!!
Oct 6, 2004
I thought at first it was the temp of the tank because I do not have a water heater for the tank and it has been getting as low as 60 deg.
Find a submersible heater and PUT IT IN as quickly as you can! Oscars need a temperature of between 72-78 degrees to be comfortable. With a 60 degree temp, you're just ASKING for a stressed fish and the diseases that come with it.

Harry Tolen

Cichlid Fan
Aug 17, 2000
Union, WA, USA
Not only is your temperature waaaaay too low, the advice you got from the petshop was wrong. Although an undergravel filter might not have worked at 100% efficiency with an oscar (because they like to move the gravel a lot and might expose the filter plate), it certainly wasn't cancelling out your Whisper 20 (which is too small for that fish anyway). Your oscar may already be suffering from a disease brought on by the low temperature,, but you might be able to help him recover if you get a heater, raise the temperature to at least 74F, add a second hang-on-the-back filter to replace the undergravel filter that you eliminated (I would recommend an Aquaclear 300 or 500), and make several 40%+ water changes over a period of 3-4 days to get the water quality back on track. If that isn't enough, then a 7-10 day course of metronidazole (available from a vet or many online vendors if you can't find it at an LFS) might also do the trick.

If you can't get an in-tank heater in the next day or so, then turn up the temperature in your house. A tank won't get colder than the room it is in (unless you have it sitting next to a window, which is another no-no).

Good luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store