Discus Anyone ?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
How many here have Discus? How are they doing? I never see anything on Discus in the forum...:confused:

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
I couldn't find any healthy Discus locally, so I got them from Ohio from Discus Dream.

Harry Tolen

Cichlid Fan
Aug 17, 2000
Union, WA, USA
Yes, I keep discus. Here are a couple of photos:

In my experience, the most important factors for keeping discus successfully are 2x weekly water changes, compatible tankmates (I keep mine with corys and cardinals and hatchetfish only), and good mechanical filtration cleaned frequently. If your water is really hard you might consider an R/O unit for a 50/50 mix with your tapwater (that's what I did when I lived in LA), but that's really not as important as the large, frequent water changes. I do mine with a Python system right into the tank, because we still use chlorine here instead of chloramines. If your water department has made the switch, however, I'd treat and store your change water in garbage cans or rubbermaid bins for a couple of days prior to using it.

BTW, when discus are healthy, they will eat just about anything. Mine survive on Tetra color bits, freeze-dried bloodworms, and Aquarian flakes.

Tyler718

AC Members
Feb 17, 2002
Stafford, Va
Real Name
David
I keep them also.:)

When I first came aboard AC there used to be a few posts about them, but more than lately. I really enjoy keeping them.

I follow the principles for keeping Discus as Harry Tolen. This is really good advice to follow.

a_free_bird73

AC Members
Jun 13, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
I keep Discus as well in community tank with gouramies and angels... Temperature, healthy fish to start with andgood aquarium maintanance will increase your chances of success...

In my experience, they are pretty damn robost fish (specially captivity bred fish) and highly tolerant of medications which makes them easy to treat (except for internal infections). Most of them were brough up in Discus only tanks and that I found to be a problem in community tanks. It takes a bit of work to get them to adjust, but once they do, they are fine. how much work depends on the temperment of the fish. The latest batch of 4 I bought, 2 adjusted well and were soon fighting for their food. one refused to eat and one was bullied around and starved for several days. It took me 2 months of trial and error to get them to settle down, but they now seem fine and have taken their place. Enjoyable experience and would recommended to anyone once you have a bit of experience under your belt.

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Nice pics Harry! It's good to hear a few others have these fish. I was beginning to wonder.......

Dale W.

Formerly known as "Reefscape"
Oct 7, 1998
Koloa, Kauai, Hawaii
www.TheKOR.org
I use to keep them years ago and I may get back into them. I have a buddy here that breeds discus and I signed him up on AC. Now if I can just get him to learn how to type :D He has around 60 adults which most of them are of the higher quality strains. I will see if I can get some pics.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
I just brought some new ones home last night. My first cluster of Discus and I am all sorts of excited!! I've been intrigued by these fish for a little over 2 years and did a lot of reading and contemplating over whether or not they were the fish for me and my tank. Last night, I decided they were and went and got them. yaaaaaay for DD!! :D

Tiger15

AC Members
Jan 20, 1999
New Jersey
shirley.stormloader.com
I kept Discus about 8 years ago and failed terribly. I will never keep discus again.

Discus are very weak fish susceptable to many deseases that most fish are resistant to. I think generations of line breeding and hybridization to produce superior color has compromized the hardiness.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store