Filter Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

im4god2

The King's Kid
Jan 6, 2003
Kentucky
Visit site
Hi,

Question on filters - I recently bought one of the Wal-Mart starter kits (10 gallon, power filter, etc.). The filter uses a replaceable sponge filter with charcoal inside it. I've seen posts on here about the good bacteria growing on/in the sponge. The filter manual says to replace the filter media every month or so.

Is there a conflict here ? Will replacing it remove a large portion of my bacteria ?

Thanks - love this forum !!!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Yes, it will. Most people here will recommend you just scrub the sponge to get the gooey's off, and keep using it. I use 2 sponges in my AquaClear, and they're good for about 6 months before I have to swap one out and put a new one in. Eventually they wear out so they don't stay in place anymore.

pinballqueen

Roleplayer
Aug 4, 2002
Sevierville, TN
www.hostultra.com
Although MOST of your bacterial colony lives in the gravel, decorations, etc., a good deal of it does live in your filter media. As has already been mentioned, just rinse the gunk off the filter pad periodically (using your "dirty" water from your water change to avoid killing all the bacteria), and replace it when it's worn out.

Orbitorly

Out in left field...
I have a Emperor 280, I take out the cartridge and rinse it with tank water and then cut a slit in it and take out the carbon and put new carbon in, similar to what pinballqueen does just with a differnt kind of filter.

pinballqueen

Roleplayer
Aug 4, 2002
Sevierville, TN
www.hostultra.com
Originally posted by Orbitorly
I have a Emperor 280, I take out the cartridge and rinse it with tank water and then cut a slit in it and take out the carbon and put new carbon in, similar to what pinballqueen does just with a differnt kind of filter.
Not exactly. I don't replace the carbon. That's where the bacteria seeds itself, on the surface of the carbon itself. I only replace my carbon (filter pad and all) if I'm needing something out of the water, like ich treatment.

Orbitorly

Out in left field...
Yeah I know I ment almost the same way, same principle. I use carbon all the time. On the Emperor there are 2 cartriges (1) The one with the blue filter floss on it or whatever you call it, instead of spending money on getting a new one I just cut a slit out and put new carbon it, and clean it (2) Where you just put extra carbon in or whatever you want, but I have carbon in that one too, have no idea what else to put in it.

Tightdog1

Chinaman Can!
Sep 2, 2002
Clayton/Concord, CA
when you clean anything in the filter and if you wanna keep the bacteria use old aquarium water (like after a water change) this will keep the bacteria alive even though you cleasn the surface.

NJ Devils Fan

#1 Devils fan
Oct 28, 2002
Yonkers, NY
members.tripod.com
I have 2 Emp 400s on my new tank. I took some of the gravel in my old tank and out it in the 4 media baskets that they gave and out each in the second filter slot with each cartridge in the first spot.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store