Discus and what?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Skittyfish

AC Members
Jan 8, 2003
South Central,KY
Visit site
I am in the process of re-vamping my 72 g bowfront, putting in a lot of plants, flourite, new lights...I am planning on getting two or three Discus. Right now I have 2 Pictus cats that are somewhat peaceful, they just cruise around the bottom, and they are about a year old. I also have 6 serpae tetras that tend to stick together, and three Otto's and a green Cory. The Cory is a bit wild sometimes, he zips up and down the glass and around the bottom. Will these fish be O.K. with Discus or should I trade some of them in? There will be a few hiding places, I have a large piece of driftwood, about 18 inches high and anywhere from 10 inches around at the bottom to 5 on each side (whole in the center.) There is also two clay pots and a red slate cave.

Any ideas will really be appreciated.

Bantam

AC Members
Aug 9, 2002
Lancaster, UK
Visit site
sounds ok as you don't have anything you could describe as aggressive. the only potential problem i can see is the discus being unsettled by fish swimming round at 100mph. i don't know anything about serpae tetras but i'm assuming they're similar in size and tempremant to other tetras (ie small and peaceful).

what i don't know about is water conditions. discus are quite fussy and need soft acidic water. i don't know how this fits in with the fish or the water you have at the moment.

have a read of http://www.max-discus-dream.de/mddnew/DicusComunityTank.html

cheers
craig

Last edited:

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Temperature

One of the main things someone may forget about Discus is they need very warm water. Water between 85 and 88 degrees is good. There aren't that many other fish that need water temps this high, and most likely won't thrive in it. Ottos are delicate to begin with and I would not keep them. I have a couple small catfish and they are doing ok with the water temperature. I have about 7 Blackskirt Rasboras that are doing well. Try to get at least 3 Discus, and remember they need 10 gallons per Discus minimum.

Last edited:

a_free_bird73

AC Members
Jun 13, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
Agree with above. Otto's are no good in a discus tank because of the temperature. All other fish should be fine, though you will have to raise the temp slowly and allow the other fish to acclimatise to higher temp before getting the Discus

Tyler718

AC Members
Feb 17, 2002
Stafford, Va
Real Name
David
In my experience, the only thing to worry about is all the fast movement of the other fish and the Ottos.

The temp is not right for the Ottos and Discus tend be skittish times if not most of the time. They will after time get used to there surroundings.

Botch

AC Members
Nov 29, 2002
South Africa
www.dirk.ohgo.com
Get more corys. One will not do well on its own, the ideal number is at least three.
Get rid of the ottos, but if you want a planted tank, you will need something to keep algae in check. Bristlenoses do well and can take the heat. Farlowella and whiptails are also good choices.
Serpae tend to be nippy, but some people keep them with discus without problems. Watch them carefully.

Other possiblities are cardinal tetras, rummy nose tetras, black neon tetras, lemon tetras, head and tail lights and harlequin rasboras.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store