Live Rock questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Greg J

Aquaticus Fanaticus
Jan 1, 2005
Boise, ID
Assuming someone is patient, would there be advantages to buying several smaller diverse samples of live rock and letting it propagate onto lace rock, as apposed to just buying a few large samples of live rock?

It seems the diversity from numerous samples could be an advantage. Other than the time it would take to propagate, would there be any disadvantage to this plan?

Any recommendations for or against purchasing live rock mail order, and what should you expect to pay (ballpark) for live rock?

How does a newbie distinguish between quality live rock and low-grade samples, (since every seller claims theirs is quality stuff)?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Nope, no disadvantages. That's pretty well how I fill in most of my tanks--a few sizable chunks, then several smaller pieces from different places. IT will be slower to getting that 'mature tank' look, but that's not a big deal.

For price--depends. I've paid up to about $10/lb for local stuff, just so I can get a specific rock, and you can find it online for around $5/lb (after shipping). Good stuff will include lots of critters and a variety of encrusting organisms.

Davidl

AC Members
Oct 19, 2004
When looking at the live rock at the LFS I usually jsut see rock, nothing seems to be on them. Am I missing something here? or is this live rock the same as all the rest?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store