Tank Mate Trouble -- Please Help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mrs. Ruglayr

AC Members
Nov 30, 2002
Iowa
Visit site
I know you probably won't agree with me, but I'm going to tell you what's in my tank, anyway. My tank is 85 gallons, with 2 AC 500 filters. I have to medium-sized plecos, 1 spotted shovelnose catfish (about 6 in.), 1 peacock oscar (about 6 in.), 1 female jack dempsey (about 6 in.) and 1 male jack dempsey (about 4 in.). My original tank had just the plecos and the 2 JD's.

This is my problem. I added my new oscar and catfish almost a month ago. My male JD is fine with everyone. My female JD is the problem. She is constantly chasing after my oscar. She is a real pain. What can I do to get them to get along. I'm ready to get rid of both JD's if I have to. I don't really want to, they are really pretty. I just want them to get along. Am I asking too much? What do you suggest? I'm open to options.

Thanks for your advice. I appreciate it.:)

Nippy

Sweetie's keeper
May 26, 2002
Fairbanks, Alaska
There are several options open to you. Unfortunately, some fish just don't get along and never will. Or sometimes, they eventually settle down after a few confrontations and are the best of friends afterwards. There's no telling though, which way it will end up. You could get rid of some fish, buy another tank, or put in a divider so they can see each other but not hurt each other. This is only a temporary fix though. You could just get rid of the female JD since she is the source of the problems.
If it were my situation, I would put in a temporary divider and get another tank for the oscar or JD pair, whichever I decided to move.
I have to say in my case though, it would be the oscar chasing the JD *if* the JD ever came out of hiding. Mine is such a big chicken butt! :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store