nudibranch

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

scottdwh

Da Bears
Oct 10, 2002
Visit site
I am thinking about getting a lettuce nudibranch but I do not know much about them. Do they bother corals or anemones? And what do they eat? Any help would be appreciated.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I don't have direct experience with them, so this is information from a couple of sources--most of which I trust.

My LFS has been breeding these buggers. They are thriving (going on 6 months with no fatalities) in a reef tank with some liverock, macroalgae, and a ton of micro algae. Dr Fosters indicates that the lettuce nudrbranch have xooanthellae, similar to corals, so they can photosynthesize some energy if the algae supply is lacking a bit.

I would be cautious about introducing it, but not because of any threat to corals or anemones. You'll just want to watch it and make sure it doesn't die on you --nasty pollution. If you get one, please provide an update on how it does in your system.

Toooloud

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
They are a great addition to a tank that is well matured.. They will eat the algeas in your tank, i had one that was amazing when i had an hair Algea issue..

The only issue with them, is once the algea goes then they will starve..

scottdwh

Da Bears
Oct 10, 2002
Visit site
thanks for all the help. I think I am going to go through and get one. I have enough hair algae in my tank to last him 5 years!

Boogiechillin

It's ok, I confuse my students too.
Oct 26, 2000
Akron, OH, USA
www.trocadero.com
I've found that they don't eat all types of hair algae and can easily starve in tanks that otherwise look like they should feed an army of herbivores. I would personally skip this and all nudibranchs, but if you want to try one this is probably the safest species to attempt.

Boogiechillin

Oct 26, 2000
Akron, OH, USA
www.trocadero.com
Only Berghia spp. nudibranchs eat aiptasia, and they eat it exclusively - nothing else will keep them alive.

...which, all things considered, is how it works for most nudibranchs. They tend to be very, very specific feeders. Some eat only certain types of algae, sponge, or anemones, and some nudis have unknown diets. Basically, avoid the whole group if you don't know exactly what species you're buying and what it eats.

Water World

AC Members
Jul 30, 2001
Galrand, TX
I'll have to agree with Boogie on this one. I got two that were about 1.5" in size. After a month I couldn't find them any more. Looks like they dried up an blew away. The last I saw one it was very small and shriveled up but still alive. I do have several types of algae in my tank but could see no activity of "algae being eaten". I am growing Leathers and shrooms, so I feel I had enough light.

scottdwh

Da Bears
Oct 10, 2002
Visit site
Well, heres the follow up on my lettuce nudibranch. I put him in my tank on Saturday and he was doing fine till I came home from work today to find only half his body. He is still alive b/c he is on the side of the glass moving around but its just his head and a small part of the body. I believe it was either the brittle starfish or the anemone that could of eaten him. I dont think any of my shrimp or fish would and I cant find the remains of him anywhere. Does anyone know if they can grow back their body?

Boogiechillin

Oct 26, 2000
Akron, OH, USA
www.trocadero.com
Doubtful that anything ate them. Nudis can afford to be brightly colored because they are usually toxic or noxious enough that nothing would want to eat them. I suspect what you're seeing is disintigration due to a failure to acclimate to your tank, either from too much shock or not enough food. Probably not your fault - as I said earlier, these guys are hard to keep going. Any portions that survive are typically viable though, so don't give up on the remaining half.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store