1st post, and I'm looking for advice about a product.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aqua-bridge

AC Members
Jan 8, 2005
I’m going to be honest. I’m an aquarium enthusiast who has been using a device I call an Aqua-Bridge for years. It’s an above the tank bridge for fish to swim through. I think the device is awesome, everyone who comes over and see’s the device thinks so too. I just started a side business making these devices and trying to sell them, but I am not having any luck. My site has been open for 6 months and I’ve sold about 4 of them. I’m really not trying to spam this board, I’m really looking for advise. I’ve advertised exclusively through the Internet, and maybe that’s part of my problem. But I also put them up for sale on Ebay and I seem to get either no bids, or one bid (which is good because it’s a sale, but pretty much at cost because of the low starting price). Anyway, perhaps the product is stupid, unattractive, priced too high? Like I said, I’d like to do a service and provide what I think is a cool product, but it just does not seem to be going anywhere. Any advise would be helpful.

I hesitate to provide a link because I’m really not looking to push the product on this forum, but if you are so inclined, a search for aqua-bridge on ebay will pop it up.

VDub90

AC Members
Oct 23, 2004
Nanaimo, BC
I thought about something like this. I was thinking of having 2 tanks connected together with a tube small enough for some smaller fish to get through but the bigger fish could not fit.

Does the water equalize in both tanks?

I was thinking of putting my 10G beside my 29G and putting my crabs in the 10G. At the same time the fish could go into either tank, but the crabs could only stay in the smaller one. Your product definetly has some uses.

ChicoRaton

Se?or Member
Jun 5, 2004
Idaho, USA
www.hazy8.com
I think it's a cool novelty product but it's a pretty narrow market that you're looking at, and that might be the reason you don't seem to be selling many. Highly targeted advertising might do the trick for you though...

Good luck!

aqua-bridge

AC Members
Jan 8, 2005
It's just like a siphon, a very large siphon, so essentially the water level is exactly even between the two tanks. I have one beween my 120 gal tank and a 60 gal tank, for Freshwater. Then I have one beween two Marine Tanks. My Marine fish love to travel beween the tanks, in one of the tanks I have all my coral and its good and lighted. In the other I have a large crab (the kiind with the anemone on its back, it's big and terrorize my corals I'm sure). So, it's kinda cool to see the fish with their freedom, snails also travel through the bridge, heck I've had a large Bubble Anemone also go through it (Clown fish battle ensued), and the crab being stuck in his tank.

Oh, my sump drains from one tank and pumps back into the other, so there's actually a flow through the bridge, but the flow is not necessary.

Last edited:

FL Knifemaker

Arming the Free World
Oct 20, 2004
Central FL
It sounds interesting but in the past 30 years, I've never had tanks that close together that were compatible :( It might be cool to have a tube that rises up out of one tank?? Kind of like a clear arch with a some kind of bracket to hold it up??? Maybe a moonlight LED to make it look cool at night?? Just thinking..........before my morning coffee ;)

Last edited:

EQualizer

AC Members
Jan 6, 2005
i think its the type of product that has to be seen before consumers buy their tanks

not many have fish tanks close together, because there simply hasn't been a reason too, and it'd be a hassle to move the tank after filling it and all, but still possible if they really wanted to

but perhaps if they saw this device beforehand, they might think, "oh this is really cool! i'm going to buy two 10 gallon tanks instead of 1 20 gallon just so i can use this baby!"

also, i dont think many know about the product, i think if they did they might be interested in buying two tanks and putting them close to each other just so they could use it even if they already are in the hobby

it sounds like a cool idea

aqua-bridge

AC Members
Jan 8, 2005
Thanks guys.

Yep, I think you're right EQ. I was thinking about advertising in a Magazine, I have not called yet to find pricing, but I'm thinking it'll be expensive. Any suggestions on the best Magazine to try to advertise this device in?

I also thought about aproaching local pet shops, but what I wanted to do is feel out the consumer desire for something like this before I committed to some of those additional expenses and effort. I supose a display at a local pet shop whould be my next step to check out consumer reaction. I thought I'd be able to see some consumer reaction on the net when I put up my site, but it's hard enough just getting an ebay feedback from the 4 buyers I've had.

An angle in showing an advantage for this product is "don't upgrade your tank, just get another and connect them together with this bridge". But I do see your point about people not already having tanks setup side by side FL K...

I thank all of you for your help. This is exactly the kinda discussion I was hoping for. I wasn't trying to hawk product.

aqua-bridge

AC Members
Jan 8, 2005
One more question.

Could my issue be that people don't understand that the device really works. I've had a few people just not understand how the water stays up inside the bridge. They actually did not believe their was water in it. But it's completely obvious to me. And I would think that it is also obvious to anyone who owns an aquarium and has filled a siphon. Am I wrong?

TAFKARojo

AC Members
Nov 17, 2004
Leominster, Ma
This is definately an interesting product. I would solicite it to all the LFS's in your area and sell it on consignment. Just ask to set up 2 10 gallon fish tanks. With feeder goldfish (to keep it cheap). You could get cheap 10 gallon set ups in the want ad's. You could sell on consignment. Maybe you could make them a bit more gimicky, add lights or something, people love bells and whistles. Also how do you keep a hood and lights. Maybe make them in different shapes? To make them easier to fit in different situations. Custom build longers ones? Get ad's all over the place on the internet. It's definately an interesting product. I would patent it. Then after some sales see if you can sell to a big fish company maybe.

SomethingFishy

AC Members
May 1, 2002
Austin, TX
Real Name
Virginia
For one thing, you don't seem to be in the search engines. Someone posted about yor product on the freshwater diy forum, but had the link wrong. I tried googling and couldn't find it. I came here and discovered that the hyphen was missing from the link on the other forum. However if you do google it one of the sites that comes up is a product with a similar idea- small plastic tanks connected by "water bridges". Anyway, I don't know how it is accomplished, but it seems like you need to get your site listed on google.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store