Chili coral Won't open

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mollybabes

AC Members
Jan 3, 2003
california
Visit site
Hello,

I have a Chili coral in my 60G LR/LS reef tank that won't open up. I have had it since May of '04. Tank Parameters are: Ph: 8.2 Salinity 1.0225/1.023 Temp 77-78 Calcium 350-400ppm all others (nitrate, nitrite, ammonia) minimal/barely readable. Feed phytoplez and zooplankton 2x per week. The coral used to open up every night, until it ejected the spicules from one branch. As per advice from I don't remember where, I cut off that piece. This was in August. it didn't open after that for a few days only, but after that it was business as usual. Then I moved. I put all the livestock in buckets one day, then set up the tanks next day or the day after. When I took "chili guy" (as I call it) out of the bucket, it was open, and remained open for several days after being put in the tank again, I figure it was hungry, yes? Anyway, then it closed up and hasn't opened up again since. I moved Thanksgiving weekend. I have it in a cave, with a powerhead directed at it and attached to a rock with rubberbands so it hangs upside down in the cave. (The rubberbands only touch the rock it came with so as not to split it) Is there anything I can do to save it? even though it is just a red lump, it has yet to eject any more spicules, so I think I stopped that from spreading.

My Fiance's cousin gave us a book and said that there is something in the book that we could try-something about dipping chili guy in freshwater for 30 seconds, then in a strong iodine solution. I think this is supposed to shock it into "resetting" itself (like it's a computer?!) If anyone knows that exact formula, that would be great, as I cannot find it in the book, "Reef Secrets."

Thanks for all your help!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store