Texas aint eating.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Metal

Registered Member
Jan 9, 2005
Hi everyone, I was giving a baby male Texas on thursday for last week. Since then, he has not eaten. I have tried to feed him, Blood worm, live black worm, cichlid flakes and cichlid pellets. He is currently living in a 75 gal on his own. I am starting to get worried as to why he wont eat. If anyone can offer any advice I would be very greatful. Thank you.

Dr_Woo

AC Members
Jul 4, 2004
Visit site
If he does not eat, at least do not keep putting food in there. Made a similar mistake that really fouled the water. Just try a little each day, and check for any symptoms of disease (look around online). Maybe he is still adjusting. Is the tank cycled? Maybe that might be the problem.

HomerJay

AC Members
Jan 14, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
How small is the fish? Maybe you could put some feeder guppies in there to see if it goes after them...

Cloud-9

AC Members
May 11, 2003
Reidsville, GA
Visit site
It's probably sick

It might have gotten exposed to high levels of nitrite. So let's see, it is now Thursday, so you've had the fish for a week. That is quite long to go without food. It doesn't take that long to acclimate a fish to a new tank.

If it were me, and again I am pro-active, this is what I would do. I would use a wide-spectrum anti-parasitic treatment and follow the course of the entire treatment. Monitor the fish carefully during treatment and see if you can see any signs of improvement. A good candidate might be one of those tank buddies (Jungle Lab?) products indicated for parasites. They work really well. This should take care of your more common parasites, if the fish is indeed infected. If that doesn't work, change % of the water, filter through carbon, and then add a wide-spectrum antibacterial. Do the same as above. If you suspect that the reason why the fish is not eating is due to exposure to high levels of nitrite, I would use methylene blue instead of the above remedies. None of these medications will hurt the fish if you follow the directions. But again, I am pro-active, as opposed to conservative. You might have a different perspective on things.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store