Bollivian and butterfly Rams in community?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mooch28

AC Members
Dec 24, 2004
Toronto (Brampton)
Hey guys,

I seen some very nice looking butterfly and Bollivian Rams today at my LFS. I just want to know how they would do in a community?

Ive got a planted 72 gallon, with a pair of platies, 2 diamond tetras, 3 clown loaches, 6 tiger barbs, 3 blue dwarf gouramis, and 4 rasboras. Would the specific rams be compatible with these fish, especially the tiger barbs?

Also i feed flakes, frozen blood worms, and dried shrimp to my fish. Would the Rams also be ok with this type of foods?

Also, how are the Rams in general to take care of. Are they hardie fish? Are they aggresive at all? Do they need hiding places or heavily planted tanks?

Oh and i keep my ph around 7.2, is that ok for the rams?

Thanks for all your help!

Karnaaj

AC Members
Jan 7, 2005
Cincinnati, Oh
If you have never experienced South American Dwarf Cichlids before I would go with the Bolivians. They are a little bit hardier and a little less picky about water conditions than regular Rams. They also get somewhat larger as well. If you are going to keep your Tigers, get a few more than the six you have now. The larger the group their kept in the more likely they will keep the aggression between themselves. Ph is fine. The only time they will exhibit any aggression is when their spawning. Even then it is pretty low key. They love planted tanks. It gives them a feeling of security and you will actually see more of them.

Mooch28

AC Members
Dec 24, 2004
Toronto (Brampton)
Karnaaj said:
If you have never experienced South American Dwarf Cichlids before I would go with the Bolivians. They are a little bit hardier and a little less picky about water conditions than regular Rams. They also get somewhat larger as well. If you are going to keep your Tigers, get a few more than the six you have now. The larger the group their kept in the more likely they will keep the aggression between themselves. Ph is fine. The only time they will exhibit any aggression is when their spawning. Even then it is pretty low key. They love planted tanks. It gives them a feeling of security and you will actually see more of them.
Actually, the Barbs have been very calm and to themselves ever since i added three clown loaches last week. I havent seen then nipping in days, which was really wasent a problem before either......so i guess they should be fine then, no? Have you ever personally tried rams with Barbs?

Thanks for replying.

Karnaaj

AC Members
Jan 7, 2005
Cincinnati, Oh
The only Barbs I keep are the checkerboards and cherries, both of which are pretty peaceful. I haven't owned a Tiger in 20 years. Go with your instinct. If you believe thru observation that your Tigers are pretty mellow go for it. I would still opt for the Bolivians if dwarfs are new to you.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store