Head and Tail Light Aggression?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
Tank in question is a 29g community. I had a school of head and tail light tetras. I had been gone to my in-laws house only returning a while ago. But just a moment ago, I looked over in the tank to see one tetra hovering toward the back. As my eyes focused, I noticed the bottom half of his tail was gone. So, I leaned in close and noticed too, that someone had really nipped his tail end good. He was missing his "tail light" and the culprit had also not just gotten the tail fin, but a nicely hunk of his body at the back end as well. This fish was not schooling, not fearful of my approach and did not respond when the net came near him, so I went ahead and pulled him and euthanized him.

My question is, has anyone heard of aggression within a school of this specie? He was not the smallest fish and I have not seen any aggression in these fish since I have picked them up, granted, that was only Friday and now is Sunday night. Tankmates are as follows: 6 mollies (two trios), 4 coryadoras, the now 5 head and tail light tetras and 2 otocinculus cats. One of the mollies is pregnant (surprise surprise) and I have seen her being territorial, but usually only near the bottom of the tank and only toward the other Black mollies. She seems content to let the Cories and even the golden lyretail mollies pass through without harassment. Usually she is even ok with the male black molly until he starts getting... nosey in that livebearer "come to papa" sort of way.

Anyway, any input is appreciated.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
I have but one head and tail light left of a school. They never attacked each other but now he is quite protective of his spot, only running away when the gourami chases him. I think as far as smaller tetras go these guys are definately more to the aggressive side, but that seems extreme to have that much of the tail lost. I wonder if the fish wasn't sick to begin with as it would take an awful lot of bites to loose that much tail and not fight back.

I would do a water change if you haven't done one recentley and monitor the rest of your fish.

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
Already did a water change and have been watching them. No more attacks over night from what I could see.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store