what the heck, tiger barb jumps and hits its head on the hood??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gnahc79

AC Members
Feb 11, 2004
bay area
Visit site
In our 20 gallon. We got this tiger barb back in the summer and it's about 1" high and 1.5" in length. It's our biggest fish in the tank. Anyways, we were watching TV when I heard a small splash from our tank. I look over and see the tiger barb spinning slowly upside down towards the gravel. I think it may have jumped out of the water and hit the hood. Chasing a bubble or something, who knows. It lies on the bottom for ~1 min. and then starts to swim slowly across the tank.....horizontally. Now it's been about 10 min and it's swimming vertically for the most part, but slowly. The area behind the fish's gills is very red, not sure if it was like that before though.

Has this happened to anyone else? Anything I can do for the not so bright tiger barb?

Last edited:

gnahc79

AC Members
Feb 11, 2004
bay area
Visit site
nevermind, two hours after the tiger barb whacked the hood it did it AGAIN and died instantly :sad. We had a little funeral for the not so smart fish. Well, at least we have more room now for some new fish.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Barbs are social fish, and tend to do better when kept with other fish. But, I'd also check to make sure the water conditions are good--poor water can make fish behave oddly.

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
OrionGirl said:
Barbs are social fish, and tend to do better when kept with other fish. But, I'd also check to make sure the water conditions are good--poor water can make fish behave oddly.
Red gills are sometimes indiciative of ammonia levels being too high in the tank as well. Grab the test kit and give it a whirl.

theuselessfew

AC Members
Nov 17, 2004
CT
Once upon a time I addeda few tiger barbs to a tank I thought I had cycled.
Their gills became damaged/worn away like you describe. Definitely check your water.

gnahc79

AC Members
Feb 11, 2004
bay area
Visit site
nitrite: 0ppm
ammonia (2 solution version): 0ppm
pH: ~7.6

the gills on the other fish are normal. :confused:

gnahc79

AC Members
Feb 11, 2004
bay area
Visit site
Never tested Nitrates, not in the test kit. I doubt it's the water, though. All of the other fish seem fine and the tank has been running for about a year now.

w.f.kITTY

Registered Member
Sep 25, 2005
I'm new at keeping a fish tank, so I'm not quite sure what to do. I received it from a friends dad, all filthy and gross. We actually threw on fish out with the old gravel becase we didn't see it. Anyway, I don't know how old the fish are but my tiger barb just jumped and hit his head this morning. It was swimming all funny and just died a few minutes ago. I did a water change but not in time I guess. The other 3 barbs seam ok though. Could it have been acting funny because of old age? How long do barbs usually live?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store