Hermit crab with anemone?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Davidl

AC Members
Oct 19, 2004
I have a 46 gallon tank, FOWLR, with two percula clowns and a yellow tang. I hjave a bunch of snails and a few hermit crabs.

anyways I went to the store to buy another hermit crab and all they had was a hermit crab with an anemone, it sounded pretty neat so I bought it. Is this an ok hermit crab? I thnk I broke the cardinal rule of not buying something you haven't researched first.

FL Knifemaker

Arming the Free World
Oct 20, 2004
Central FL
Davidl said:
I have a 46 gallon tank, FOWLR, with two percula clowns and a yellow tang. I hjave a bunch of snails and a few hermit crabs.

anyways I went to the store to buy another hermit crab and all they had was a hermit crab with an anemone, it sounded pretty neat so I bought it. Is this an ok hermit crab? I thnk I broke the cardinal rule of not buying something you haven't researched first.
What do you mean by a hermit crab WITH an anenome??

My hermits never bother the anemones by the way. I'd be more worried about the other way around ;)

Davidl

AC Members
Oct 19, 2004
it's a hermit crab with an anemone on it's shell. the LFS said it was ok to put in the aquarium and is safe. But then I have read in other places that it's too agressive and might eat fish? just wondering on anyone's experience with it.. shuld I take it back?

FL Knifemaker

Arming the Free World
Oct 20, 2004
Central FL
I'd love to see a picture of it. I've never seen one before. I would imagine that the anemone would soon outgrow the crab shell, especially when he tries to go into tight places!

Davidl

AC Members
Oct 19, 2004
I took him back, he was a bit big and had a huge claw and I was afraid he might eat a fish or my snails.. better safe than sorry.

Gealcath

AC Members
Nov 9, 2003
Visit site
Thier similar to Boxing crabs, they pick up Anemones and attach them to thier shell for protection, and the Anemone benefits from rapid transportation to food sources. However this type of Hermit can get REALLY big. Also because they have such great protection they are nasty preditors, and go after all types of fish and inverts.

FL Knifemaker

Arming the Free World
Oct 20, 2004
Central FL
In all my years of saltwater and lately reading all I can on the internet, I've never seen one of them!! Very cool!!!!

I now that other large hermits can be a pain in the butt with aquascaping :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store