Yellow Tang Ich or normal?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Davidl

AC Members
Oct 19, 2004
I have a yellow tang, and when I looked at him this morning (to turn on the lights in the aquarium) he seems to have white spots around his body, and sort of milky patches. When I got home after work (about 10 hours later) he looks normal and yellow. Is this normal for this fish? He isnt' doing anything wierd and looks relatively normal.

HkySk8r187

AC Members
Oct 18, 2004
My yellow tang did the same thing. Turned out to be ich which I am trying to treat. What happens is ich tries to find a host (your tang) and then it falls off to reproduce then comes back with increasing numbers each time. So, could be ich, I would defenatly look into it and make sure and start treating it asap.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
The ich life cycle can't continue if the parasite is unsuccessful in infecting the fish. When the parasite is in the fish, it's undetectable without taking a sample and scoping it. When the parasite prepares to drop off, it will form a cyst on the surface, which looks like grains of salt.

Yellow tangs fade at night. Very normal, not a problem. If the faded spots remain after lights on, it can be a sign of stress.

Asfur

AC Members
Jan 26, 2005
Only use a freshwater dip as a last resort. its highly stressful for fish and i dont like to use it unless i have no alternative. a uv should be on standby if anyone owns a tang, also Octozin or Oodinex which are both reef safe should be kept o standby. lastly the use of garlic is also good for the fight against Ich.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store