*future* 55 Gallon Setup

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Oddball~

Brackhead
Nov 18, 2004
Dallas, TX
I'm thinking of getting a nice 55 gallon tank, but I'm a freshman in high school, and my mom won't take care of water changes when I'm at college, and I don't think I could carry around a 55 gallon tank very easily...so this is PROBABLE, not sure of it though...

Here are my options:

- 1 or 2 brown knifefish w/ some other fish, maybe bichirs?...heavy filtration, medium plant cover & decor, medium water flow

OR

- 2 Needlenose Fish (brackish) w/ some other fish...heavy filtration, light plant cover, medium water flow

OR

- 1 or 2 Oscars...HEAVIER filtration, robust decor, heavy-meedium water flow

OR

- 4 Spotted Climbing Perch w/ some other fish...Medium-Light filtration, dense plant cover, light water flow

Yep, that's what i've thought of so far... post any suggestions...

OR 50 neon tetras... haha, yea right! :laugh:

NotCalebSherida

AC Members
Nov 3, 2004
college is in four years, first off, so you have a ways to go, plus you'll go home every so often for water changes.

Currently i have a 20g tall in my bedroom at home and my mom doesnt really do water changes more than like once every few weeks, but she's understanding about feeding... So i just try to keep only a few of the prettiest tetras (neons and columbian red/blue and some cory cats) in there so that she gets a little attached to the cuties and is more willing to go in and do stuff with the tank. It works, but not great ;) So if you are going to be worried about four years from now, I suggest not keeping brackish (more work required when water is changed) and not keeping oscars or other high water maintanence fish (you need more water changes more often)... I find that my tank has been doing just fine with only a water change every few weeks.. Plus when i am back home on breaks, i try to do a 50% water change to make up for her smaller ones

Seaman

Shrimp gumbo, shrimp salad etc...
May 22, 2004
Im like air im everywhere (Dallas, TX)
Its all a matter of opinion, but I would personally do ther brown knife fish with a bichir or 2. Also just so you know....a 55 isnt really big enough IMO for even a single oscar long term...definitely not 2.

It just depends on what you like.

Me personally In a 55....I would get 5 or 6 hujetas and a senegal bichir, and maybe a pictus for cleanup. That would be a neat tank!

Cloud-9

AC Members
May 11, 2003
Reidsville, GA
Visit site
I like your thinking, planning ahead and dreaming, etc.

I would like a big tank also, but the prospects of dealing with it when I have to move is daunting. I am considering getting an acrylic tank for that very same reason. Much easier to move around from what I have been advised.

My advise is to do as much research as you can and determine which type of fish would do well in that size tank and the type of water in your area. Maintenance is so much easier if you do not have to adjust the water.

Oddball~

Brackhead
Nov 18, 2004
Dallas, TX
Yea, the oscar was a long shot...

I really like the knifefish and the perchs, and i've heard too many stories of needlnoses getting scared and running into the glass and head-butting themselves to death...

I'll keep an eye on it.. thanks though I would like more input

Cloud-9

AC Members
May 11, 2003
Reidsville, GA
Visit site
More thinking

You might also try to determine your fish keeping habits. By that, I mean do you like to keep the same fish for a long time? Or do you get bored and want to free up the tanks for something new, on a constant basis? I used to be the latter.

At the moment, I have not bought a fish since June of 2003. I only have 3 now. And they've all been with me for quite some time. It does get a little boring sometimes.

Oddball~

Brackhead
Nov 18, 2004
Dallas, TX
Yea, I like multiple fish because i'm very impulsive... I almost bought FW fish for my BW tank..

Seaman

Shrimp gumbo, shrimp salad etc...
May 22, 2004
Im like air im everywhere (Dallas, TX)
Hey oddball, I'm in dallas too. Just wondering where bouts you get your fish?? I usually go to Dallas North, or the fish gallery. Know any other "hole in the wall" places??

Oddball~

Brackhead
Nov 18, 2004
Dallas, TX
I go the the dallas north aquarium... they have a good brackish stock... I've been eyeing a brown knifefish at the local PetSmart.... I've been dying to get it since I can't see it in pain since the fact that it isn't getting the right treatments...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store