"potting" plants?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

redbucket

AC Members
Dec 1, 2004
I'd like to add more plants to my 50g (110watts). Unfortunately I didn't plan on this tank being planted (didn't realize how easy it was to buy a shoplight from home depot and set it up in a DIY hood, thought I would only have the 30watts [!!!!] of lighting that came with the tank). For that reason, I put in gravel instead of sand. How do I put plants in there without changing all my gravel to something more suitable for plant growth? Can I create "pots" for each plant out of tupperwear with sand or the such in there? Any other ideas?

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
You could try adding sand to your substrate. If you have a way to remove the fish temporarily, you could always add pre-rinsed sand and mix it with the gravel. Sand would fill in the gaps between the gravel pretty easily. Also, a lot of plants will do just fine in gravel. Many plants take nutrients right out of the water column!

geoffgarcia

AC Members
Apr 22, 2004
the difference in normal gravel and "plant special" gravel is minimal at best IME.
Its just another way for marketing/sales people to get into your wallet.

The only reason you might have trouble is if your gravel is large and not very porous.

redbucket

AC Members
Dec 1, 2004
Harlock said:
Also, a lot of plants will do just fine in gravel. Many plants take nutrients right out of the water column!
Any suggestions, keeping in mind I have just over 2 w/g?

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
Plants should be fine, as Harlock said they can absorb nutrients through their leaves. I have some Crypts doing really well in plain gravel with some peat underneath (Len's suggestion, seems to be working really well) - you might be able to get some peat (it sometimes comes in a sort of pressed 'cake' that you can cut/break to size) and move some of the gravel aside, place a little peat, and cover it back up. That would help the plants get a head start, but it's not essential.
2WPG is fine for lots of plants - you could try Hygro, water sprite, Java fern, Java moss, some Cryptocorynes... try searching Google for low - moderate light plants and see what you come up with. If in doubt, just post possiblities here and someone can probably tell you if they'll work :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store