Blue Devilish Behavior

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

watertownsalt

AC Members
Oct 1, 2004
Watertown, CT
Over the last two days I have noticed a bit of mean streak in one of my two blue devil damsels.Today, the smaller of the two has found a new safe haven behind a powerhead to protect himself from the mean damsel. Unfortunately, his fins are now a tad nibbled.

Should I buy one of those little isolation pens that hang inside the tank to help him recover and protect him from the other? Or, do I let nature take its course.

I just find it odd, that they tolerated each other for three months without incident. Can't we just all get along?

stock:
2 blue damsels
1 maroon clown

thanks

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
In the long run, you'll probably end up with just one. Damsels are not nice fish, they are mean, nippy, territoial buggers that seldom play nice with others. I've seen a 3-stripe damsel terrorize a lion big enough to make a snack of the bugger--he just wasn't fast enough to eat it. The damsel had to be removed because it was shredding the lions fins.

Fish behavior changes over time, as the fish mature. What worked with juveniles is often just not possible with adults. Returning the aggressive fish will likely result in the one left behind becoming a bully--and either of them may go after teh clown, though maroons are seldom pushed around by another fish (frequently the other way around--clowns and damsels are the same family of fish).

watertownsalt

AC Members
Oct 1, 2004
Watertown, CT
well, that kind of stinks.

so - I guess i just let nature take its course. I just feel so bad for the little one. But, if a single fish nips at my marroon clown, my wife will personally make sushi out of it. She has taken a liking to him or her.

She usally despises all my hobbies - but she loves the tank! In fact, she has started a fund for me. (coins and singles make their way in a few times a week to go towards the tank and its upkeep)

Thanks OG

Fish_First

AC Members
Jan 14, 2005
why don't you find someone to take it off your hands... or get a small 10 gallon and put it in there.

watertownsalt

AC Members
Oct 1, 2004
Watertown, CT
not a bad idea - i will check around locally.

It has been a few days since this thread has been started and believe it or not, the damsel is looking and acting alot better. I wonder if they made some sort of agreement. You know - you stay on your side of the tank, and I will stay on mine. Who knows?

I am going to keep tabs of the hostility in the tank and look for foster parents for the damsel in the mean time.

Thanks,
WS

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store