oscar compatibility.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Paroon Shark

AC Members
Dec 10, 2004
im looking to get 1 , possibly 2 oscars in my 33g long. i am wondering if they are compatable with any other cichlids...like maybe a scool of 3 yellow labs and a few electric blues??
thanks for any help

csm84

AC Members
Nov 28, 2004
grand rapids, mi
one oscar alone will fill that 33long pretty well. he will be ok for a while, but once he gets bigger he will need a new home. a pair even in a 55 is pushing it. my oscars arn't very aggressive, as long as the other fish are at least as large as they are.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
In a tank that small 1 oscar for the first 6 months or so and then at least a 55 gallon but most likely a 75 gallon. 2 will need at least 100 gallons. They are super messy fish and you shouldn't keep anything else with them. You will need to change the water often in that size tank. And look up hole in the head disease while your oscar is still healthy. It is best to learn about it before it becomes an issue.

Paroon Shark

AC Members
Dec 10, 2004
ok i will keep one baby oscar for roughly six months...at that point the pet store said they would take it back.Again i ask....can i get a little school of y labs pr electric blues??

Gunnie

Newbie forever
Jun 8, 2003
Tallahassee, FL
www.egunsellers.com
You shouldn't mix african and S.A. cichlids in the same tank. If you are gonna give the oscar back when he gets bigger, why not skip getting one altogether and stick with an african cichlid tank that you can keep in your 33 gal. and not have to move them later? :eek:

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Oscar don't mix well with other fish, sorry to say. While not super aggressive they can be bullies. A catfish of sutable size is about the best choice.

I would agree that keeping a tank of africans would be best as you will probably get really attached to the oscar and not want to give it back. Africans are loads of fun to watch as well.

General Lee

Registered Member
Jan 15, 2005
Paroon Shark said:
ok i will keep one baby oscar for roughly six months...at that point the pet store said they would take it back.Again i ask....can i get a little school of y labs pr electric blues??
Simple answer NO. To be safe keep oscars by themselves because from my experience they hate everything but themselves. Good luck and enjoy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store