How many Blue and Gold rams whould i get?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mooch28

AC Members
Dec 24, 2004
Toronto (Brampton)
Hey guys,

Ive got a medium planted 72 gallon tank, and am thinking of adding some Rams, possibly 5 total. Would 2 Gold rams and 3 Blue rams be too much, will they fight to death?

Ive also got 6 tiger barbs, 3 clown loaches, 2 platies, 3 dwarf gouramis, 4 rasboras, 2 diamond tetras, and 2 four inch plekos (who wont be here much longer). My Barbs are getting along with the other fish very well, so i dont think they would pose a problem with the Rams, which will be my last fish because im sure ill be fully stocked by then.......

???

labont865

This is drako, a friend of a friend
Nov 26, 2004
Mooch28 said:
Ive got a medium planted 72 gallon tank, and am thinking of adding some Rams, possibly 5 total. Would 2 Gold rams and 3 Blue rams be too much, will they fight to death?

I dont think you will have anything to worry about with the Rams! They are very mellow fish! They tolerate eachother relatively well and usually dont worry about other species of fish unless they are breeding! You also shouldnt have to worry too much about the Barbs as Rams can defend themselves quite well IME! I have four Blue Rams(2m,2f) in with two Angels a Cory and an Oto. And they all get along great!

Mooch28

AC Members
Dec 24, 2004
Toronto (Brampton)
labont865 said:
I dont think you will have anything to worry about with the Rams! They are very mellow fish! They tolerate eachother relatively well and usually dont worry about other species of fish unless they are breeding! You also shouldnt have to worry too much about the Barbs as Rams can defend themselves quite well IME! I have four Blue Rams(2m,2f) in with two Angels a Cory and an Oto. And they all get along great!
Thank, just one more question though. The guy at the store was honest enough to tell me he cant seperate or tell the difference between the males from the females, so will this be a problem? Is there some ratio of males to females or vice versa you should have? Would all males be ok?

Darkblade48

AC Members
Nov 24, 2004
Mooch28 said:
Thank, just one more question though. The guy at the store was honest enough to tell me he cant seperate or tell the difference between the males from the females, so will this be a problem? Is there some ratio of males to females or vice versa you should have? Would all males be ok?
Yes, the best ratio to get would be 1:1 ;)
A tank full of males would be full of horror, as the males will start chasing/fin nipping and in general, wreaking havoc, on each other

redbucket

AC Members
Dec 1, 2004
Darkblade48 said:
Yes, the best ratio to get would be 1:1 ;)
A tank full of males would be full of horror, as the males will start chasing/fin nipping and in general, wreaking havoc, on each other

how do you tell them apart? (males and females)

labont865

This is drako, a friend of a friend
Nov 26, 2004
I personally started with one male and two females the male and one female paired, then I lost the other female reason un-known. I then added another pair that had already paired up at the LFS! I have heard it is best to start with more females than males basically two to one!
Sexing the two isnt the easiest as if they are not brightly coloured they look very similar! The easiest way to tell is males have three very prodominate black splines at the front of their dorsal fin, The females have these same splines but they tend to less exagerated. The Females also tend to have a redish/purple belly and the males tend to be a yellowish/orange in the belly, I have also found with my Rams that the males tend to have long flowing fins where as my females tend to have more rounded fins! This is just from my experince with them, And I am far from an expert as this is the first bunch of Rams I have ever owned!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store