Seachem's stability

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
What are you talking about? Seachem makes a variety of products, some which promote stability in pH, but how would that related to BioSpira?

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
The best thing for new tanks is to use dechlorinator and water changes, assuming there are fish in it. The absolute best thing is to do a fishless cycle and not worry about harming your fish.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Ah...Found it! It's a new product. I honestly can't say that I've seen it on the market, and most research I've seen indicates that the bacteria that establish in our aquariums does not have a spore or 'vegetative' state. I wouldn't count on it working until it's been tested by more hobbyists. I'll see if I can find it locally and test it out.

DoctorP

AC Members
Nov 17, 2004
I've got some of Seachem's Stability and have been using it for the past month with my water changes. I picked it up right after I had a big die-off in my tank, 3 gourami's and 1 one old angelfish. Ever since my fish have looked better and my tank readings have been much more stable. No ammonia or nitrite spikes... it seems to be good stuff in my opinion.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
A stable tank should not have ammonia or nitrite spikes at all. And you should be able to keep a cycled tank stable using water changes and no chemicals.

freeless2002

AC Members
Dec 9, 2002
Homewood IL
Visit site
TKOS said:
The best thing for new tanks is to use dechlorinator and water changes, assuming there are fish in it. The absolute best thing is to do a fishless cycle and not worry about harming your fish.

Actually, there is no absolute best thing to do, I'm old school when comes to cycling and that's get some goldfish. Personally, I think you learn more about it by dealing with the spikes. I have done both and found cycling with fish to be a better process. IMHO, fishless cycle is quick and cheap but you do not learn a thing from it. Plus, the products have no shelf life. Which is why Biospira, Jungle fishless products are off the market in chicago.

Oniongirl- I have found basically the same information on bacteria, which is why the fishless products have no shelf life. I came across Stability at petsmart when I was looking for a veggie clip. After talking to my LFS, I learned that it was not so much as fishless but rather a bacteria "helper" for new tanks as it "helps" faster bacteria growth. I was given a bottle by them since it is new to test out. So here I'm with a bottle trying to decide if I really want to dump it into a 20 I'm cycling.

ambrosiamonkey

Doing the Community Thing
Dec 9, 2004
Berkeley, California
freeless2002 said:
Do not even suggest Biospira is according to my LFS's ( 5) that stuff is not available anymore because of shelf life problems.

That's news to me. According to my LFS, Bio-Spira was unavailable for a while because Marineland couldn't keep up with the demand, but it is now available again, I got some a week ago and used it to set up a new 50 gallon tank last weekend, and it's worked out with no problems so far. I understand that it has to be continuously refrigerated. If the refrigeration breaks down somewhere in the shipping process, that would affect how well it works and it might be presented as a "shelf life problem" as an explanation.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store