Red Devil or Midas and Male or Female?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

beaners

Registered Member
Jan 2, 2005
I have an absolutely gorgeous fish that I purchased about two years ago from a chain pet store as a Red Devil. Due to the source I suspect I have either a labiatum or a hybrid. Anyone more knowledgable then I have an opinion to offer?

As a side note, this fish has been through heck and back and is still bumping the front of the tank when I walk in the room. Last year while I was at school, my mother decided mean fish need to be put in time out. The Jack Dempsey that was sharing the tank is her favorite fish, so my poor Red Devil got stuck in the spare 10 gallon tank with inadequate filtration and no heater although the house stays around 70-something at its coldest. In addition my poor fish was only being fed flake goldfish food, so size is not what should be expected of a fish this age.

Long story short, Ruen-pronounced Ruin, a most appropriate name for a Red Devil (short for the Latin word cruentus, -a, -um meaning bloodthirsty or blood-red) is now at school with me in a 20-long with a filter made for a 50-70 tank. I know the current tank is too small, but Ruen is about 4 or 5 inches and you try putting a 75 in a dorm room. I change about 30% of the water just about every day to make up for the smaller tank and heavy feedings to try and get some size on my fish. I know tank size isn't big enough but will water changes and filtration compensate until my buddy has better housing?

Sorry that came out so long, I can provide better "snout" and fin pictures if the one I've included isn't clear enough.

Thanks!
Kayleigh

ruen.JPG

kanakaia

Da Fish Man
Feb 4, 2003
Las Vegas NV
You got a midas. Can't tell if it's a male or female from the picture but it's a real nice looking one. It should be ok in the 20 gal for now. Wow, 2 yrs old and only 5 inches, mine was 12 inches at 2 years. You might not have to upgrade your tank size.

N8DOGG

Peaches !!
Jul 5, 2004
NY
Visit site
unless you got it from a breeder then its more likely a mutt. Red Devil X Midas. but still a very nice fish

I think if is 2 years old and only 4-5" that in might be a female or it may be stunted because of the small tank.

Last edited:

BayBayBay

AC Members
Sep 24, 2004
It look like a midas to me. I bought one 2 months ago when it was 2 inches long. Now it is almost 5 inches long in 2 months. I think your small tank keep it small.

peifc

AC Members
Jun 18, 2003
New York
www.peifc.com
I doubt heavily that's a midas. To get pure breed...need to get it from well known breeder. If you get it from LFS...chances of that being rdxmidas is big. Unless your LFS orders fish from people like Jeff Rapps.

My female midas is at 7"+ and around 1 and a half yr old. My male midas is about 2 yrs old at 11". Food also plays a big part on how the fish grows. My female was 5.5" when I got her (SL). After being in my tank for half year...she puts on 2"...

BTW, I also doubt that fish is labiatus. Pure breed labiatus has much thicker lips.

To help you sex the fish...

My female midas tube

My male midas tube

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store