Who'll Take Care Of My Fish?!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Oddball~

Brackhead
Nov 18, 2004
Dallas, TX
This is a seirous issue... I'm going to go to Hawaii for 2 weeks and i need someone to take care of my fish! How can i be sure they'll be fed and are clean in their tank?!?! HELP!

cdawson

AC Members
Jan 6, 2003
Vancouver BC
Visit site
Do a 50% water change before you go and they'll be fine. Maybe have someone check on them every couple days. Fish can go months without eating. Nothing disastrous is likely to happen in a two week period.

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
the 50% water change before you go is good advice. Is there anyone you can trust enough to come over every other day to feed without overfeeding?

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
We have sitters, originally found through our vet for the dog, but one of them is fully fish-competent, so takes care of the dog 2x daily and the tanks every other day. I do premeasure all the foods into tank-labeled/dated vials. No problems at all.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
I have a little old lady from next door that comes over every 3 days & drops a Dixie cup filled with pre-measured food into all their tanks. She even will thaw shrimp for my larger puffers, as long as I tell her how many. All my tanks are numbered for her & she has a list of whether they get a cup or a shrimp. Other than my fish, she has never had any experience feeding fish.

Silver Surfer

Superhero
Jan 24, 2005
Chicago
The puffers will eat the other fish. What I do when I leave for any amount of time is I load the tank up with 50 feeder guppies and 50 feeder rosies. This amount keeps my guys fed for 4-5 days. These feeder fish will keep your puffers fed and you can use a auto feeder for flakes for the feeder fish and gobies, actually my knight goby takes small guppies. My fish get **** upset when not fed and some serious fghts break out. The feeder fish give the others something to pick on so they don't pick on each other.

For a trip away for 2 weeks change the water before you go and add 200+ feeders in my opinion.

cdawson

AC Members
Jan 6, 2003
Vancouver BC
Visit site
Silver Surfer said:
The puffers will eat the other fish. What I do when I leave for any amount of time is I load the tank up with 50 feeder guppies and 50 feeder rosies. This amount keeps my guys fed for 4-5 days. These feeder fish will keep your puffers fed and you can use a auto feeder for flakes for the feeder fish and gobies, actually my knight goby takes small guppies. My fish get **** upset when not fed and some serious fghts break out. The feeder fish give the others something to pick on so they don't pick on each other.

For a trip away for 2 weeks change the water before you go and add 200+ feeders in my opinion.
Feeding puffers feeder fish is an extremely bad idea, in fact feed your fish feeder fish is overall a bad idea. They're often diseased and unhealthy, not to mention the equivelant of feeding your dog bacon fat on a daily basis.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store