2d request - Top fin 20 gal tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

renie

AC Members
Jan 3, 2005
I have a 20 gallon Top Fin Aquarium set up. In the filter box was a black plastic thing, that my LFS did not know what it was. It seems like it fits behind the filter cartridge and it's about the same size. Is it a second filter--do I always keep it in there? There's nothing in my instructions and my LFS doesn't know. :bowing: Any help is very appreciated!

gonefishin

corn-eyed finless brown trout?
Sep 17, 2004
Lake Tahoe
yeah, a picture would help. In the meantime, I've got the TF10 on one tank and It came with a lid that just sits on top of the filter(no clips or holders keeping it on) and it has what look like vent holes on it. Could that be it?

renie

AC Members
Jan 3, 2005
It is the length of the filter, and has a mesh-y looking middle, but its all rigid plastic. Will try to get a pix.

greenday04

AC Members
Nov 28, 2004
Concord, CA
Renie, too funny, I have the same TopFin filter w/the same black thing that is shaped just like the filter and the same size. I put in the clear filter with the cover and it works fine. I have no idea what that is for either, maybe a replacement if the other one breaks? Not in my directions either. I didn't attach it to the other filter.

Mine is a TopFin30 for my 20g. Too weird!

If you find out anything about it and if it is critical, please let me know, jdschultze@astound.net

Thanks and good luck finding out what it is!

renie

AC Members
Jan 3, 2005
hey Greenday, thanks for the response. I will let you know IF I EVER FIND OUT! My lfs thinks its a spare filter holder for putting other media in. Not sure about that, though--everyone seems to be "guessing" which doesn't make me feel too secure.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
I wouldn't worry. All any filter is a a source of water movement that passes through some sort of pourous material. I don't have any original filter stuff in my filters. My whisper quickly got a sponge put in place of the cartridges and my aqua clear had no material with it as it was used. They work just fine.

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
Yes, TKOS speaks with wisdom. I have two Penguin 125s on my 29 gallon tank. First thing I did with them was rip open the blue material that holds the activated carbon in place and then removed all carbon and the filter material itself. I then replaced the filter media with Marineland Filter Foam cut to fit my cartridge and then simply tied them in place with some thread. From what I have seen, most folks on this board do what they want with their filters and everyone seems to have fish that live and thrive. Go figure.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store