Fancy goldfish lost eye

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

max.capacity

Registered Member
Jan 17, 2005
I have a sad problem. I made the mistake of mixing several fancy goldfish with a Koi. Everything was okay until one of the larger goldfish died making the Koi the biggest in the tank - the Koi is about 6 inches long.

Just on Sunday night (Jan 16/05) the Koi attacked one of the fancy goldfish and pulled its eye out. He was bleeding but 24 hours later it stopped.

I moved the fish to another tank by himself and added some Melafix at the correct dose. I managed to find a pet store that would take back the Koi so that's no longer an issue.

Any thoughts on my fish's survival? Anything else I can do besides treating it with Melafix for 7 days?

BTW...the fish was also starting to develop fin rot so I need to treat that too with the Melafix. What's your experience been with Melafix - does it work well?

Shekoi

Trying to start up again
What size tank is it?

koi should never be in a tank - it was being aggresive due to the lack of room. they need 200g + each. good job you took it back.

as for the survival of the injured fish, it depends on how good the water is in your tank, i'm guessing not very as you have a lot of goldfish and a koi was just removed. i guess the large goldfish died due to poor water and over crowding.

several? say 5, then your tank should be at least 150g. thats around a 6x2x2ft tank.
if your tank isn't this size take the goldies back to the LFS for their own good - get some small tropical fish much easier to house and look after.

max.capacity

Registered Member
Jan 17, 2005
Reply to Shekoi

The main tank is 75 gallons and has a total of 8 fish. The water quality was good as I measure the pH (7.0) and Amonia (0) on a weekly basis and do 20% weelky water changes.

I moved the affected fish to a hospital tank where he's alone. There aren't any rocks, plants, or other things in the tank. I'm treating the fish with Melafix at the recommended dose.

Any comments on the fish's chances of survival? How about doing something else - is there anything else I can do to increase its chances of survival or help heal its eye?

Thanks!

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
Your fish should probably survive, although long term you can never be sure how he will turn out.

I am more concerned with the water quality. You didn't say if you do tests for Nitrates. Ammonia isn't important when a tank is cycled, as it should stay at zero. I'm not saying you shouldn't have an ammonia tester on hand, but they really do not help much if your tank has cycled. We need to know what the nitrates are in this tank. In such an aquarium, you could imagine that waste probably piles up quickly (resulting in nitrates). High nitrates can actually cause the fish to loose an eye, although it would be a rare case. It can also cause frayed fins, bleeding of fins, etc. This is why pristine water conditions must be kept.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store