Upgrading to Larger Tank... Need Help Finding Tankmates!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

HistoryGirl

Puffer Lover!
Jan 18, 2005
Hello-
I'm new to the site and fairly new to the hobby though I've stuffed my brain with so much information in the past couple months I already feel like an expert. I am going up to a 75 gallon tank. I currently have an overstocked 10 gallon nano-reef! Believe it or not, I have a juvenile Picasso Trigger (he's about 2 inches) thriving in it with some damsels. (I know, I know :eek: ) So what I was thinking of was keeping my little 10 gallon with the smaller fish in it and putting my Picasso in the 75 with a few other tankmates. I am researching what to put in it. I am a fan of larger, unique fish. So, my questions are the following:
* Could I put a Dogface Puffer into the 75 with my Trigger? And, how fast will a medium-sized Dogface grow?
* Will a Mandarinfish do OK in the 75 gal (with live rock and substrate sand) or should I switch my 10 gal to substrate sand and put him in there with the smaller fish? (2 damsels, and a clown)?
*What other fish could I pair with my Picasso in the larger tank? I was thinking possibly a Lionfish or Batfish? I am also not a huge fan of Angels or Tangs... Guess I'm looking for some rarer species. Any info would be great!!!

labont865

This is drako, a friend of a friend
Nov 26, 2004
I thought you had a GSP? Just wondering as it wasnt mentioned in this post.

The Trigger is very hard to have with any other fish. A lion fish would be okay as long as they are similar size. Triggers are extremely aggressive and will constantly attack other fish as they get older. The lion fishes saving grace is its spines! Yuo dont really have too much choice. My friend kept a dog face in with his picasso and it absolutely destroyed the puffer! My friend got very lucky and managed to remove the trigger before it actually killed the dogface, but he still has massive scars and is now missing an eye.

RJJ_EXPERT

AC Members
Jan 10, 2003
Visit site
the trigger may nip the spines off the lion
how big are the damsels if they are large you maybe could try an eel or grouper maybe another kind trigger

I think a harlequin tusk fish may work in your set up

triggers usally very per fish so its no telling what they will do

you could also trade in for a less agressive or keep the damsels in the 10 gallon and get a large fish

HistoryGirl

Puffer Lover!
Jan 18, 2005
My puffer is actually in a smaller tank by himself right now because my Trigger went after him. And I mean REALLY went after him! Interesting because the Trigger didn't go after the Damsels at all. I didn't even want to mess with a "time-out" compartment for the Trigger because I wasn't going to chance losing my puffer. Thanks for the other info guys. I'm gonna check out the Harlequin Tusk fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store