Will my tank be over populated?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

spikeyone

Registered Member
Jan 6, 2005
I have a 10 gallon tank and would like to put two bubble-eye goldfish in. I don't think that these can get as large as most other goldfish do. I've seen other members post about needing 30 gallons per goldfish!

Would it be horrible to have two of them in a 10 gallon?

ArkyLady

Addict In Training
Nov 27, 2002
Arkansas
Info I found says they grow to 5". I'd say that is still too large for a 10 gallon tank. The info I read also said this:

The bubbles on the Water-Bubble Eye Goldfish begin to develop at an age of 6-9 months and by the time they are 2 years old, the bubbles are very large. Their water-filled bubbles get so big the fish has trouble seeing and has a hard time even swimming because of them. The sacs themselves are easily broken and heal slowly or not at all. They are also subject to infection.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
With goldfish it isn't always the size that is a consideration, though 5 inches of rolly polly goldfish is still quite large.

It is also the fact that they produce a large amount of waste. Placing them in a small tank causes their growth to be stunted which leads to internal organ failure at early ages.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store