Percula Clown cuddling with Haitian Anemone?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

HistoryGirl

Puffer Lover!
Jan 18, 2005
Thought this was weird and had to ask. Why in the heck is my little Percula Clown nesting in my Haitian Anemone at night? I thought that those kind of anemones didn't host clowns, and was definitely told they don't. I made sure the Clown wasn't trapped, and he wasn't... Just likes to happily dance around in the anemone. What gives? It's pretty cute, though, cuz the anemone and the fish are babies :p

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
Clowns can be relatively unselective about hosts, often snuggling with large-polyped corals or even powerheads. On the one hand, it's pretty well established that clowns are a lot less selective about hosts in tanks. On the other, species like ocellaris and percula, which are two of the choosiest in the wild, will often never take a host. With some luck, the condy won't mind. In some cases the clown will irritate the anemone.

As a side note, although condys don't host clowns in the wild, they play host to a variety of shrimp, wrasses and damsels.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store