Recommended Tank Mates for 75 gal.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TBA

AC Members
Dec 14, 2002
I've bought a 75 gal. tank that I'm building into a wall of a recreation room with intentions to keep a rift lake species tank. My water specs. a good for it, however now I'm faced with the fortunate personal conflict of which to buy. I'd like to keep (4) Neolamprologus sp., (4) Julidochromis sp., (4) Labidochromis and (4) Pseudotropheus demasoni. I've heard of problems with Juli's and Pseudo's, so I wanted to know if anyone had knowledge or recommendations to not have this type of mix in my tank? I was going to try and keep different species of cichlids with as much variety in color and stripe pattern to prevent conflict.

On another note, what color and size of substrate (gravel) would you recommend for this type of mix? Also, do you prefer lava rock or slate configurations? Thanks!

Deb2

AC Members
Jun 4, 2002
Folsom, CA
Visit site
Neolamps and Julies are Tanganyikans and the others are Malawis. I wouldn't mix lakes.

TBA

AC Members
Dec 14, 2002
What other Tanganyikans would you suggest (based on your own preferences)? Any suggestions on rocks?

vilhelm

AC Members
Dec 9, 2001
sweden
Visit site
I;d like to warn about p.demasoni,they are hard to keep,they need x-tra veg.food an other mbunas(bloatwarning,if not)And it is very hard to keep few togeather(killers aginst their own kind,15 and up work much better(expenciv).Thats a shame because is one of the most beutyful mbunas from lake malawi.I use formation of reddish lava rocks and white sand(coral)

TBA

AC Members
Dec 14, 2002
Do you recommend using sand vs. gravel for any reason? I haven't used sand before in my tanks. Do you use a Python to clean the tank. If so, doesn't it suck up the sand (as light as it is)?

Deb2

AC Members
Jun 4, 2002
Folsom, CA
Visit site
Argonite sand or crushed coral. It is an astetic preference so go with what you like. Cyprachromis leptosoma are a favorite of mine since they are mid water swimmers. Also Altolamprologus calvus, and xenotilipia orcrogenys (with the xenos you need sand).

TBA

AC Members
Dec 14, 2002
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll go with either white sand or crushed coral. Based on my research it appears the Neolamps. sp. and Juli.'s are monogamous substrate spawers. So far I'm pretty fond of the colors and behavior of Neolamps. and Juli.'s. Do you think I'll have an aggression problem keeping two pairs of each type (specifically:Neolamp. tretocephalus, Neolamp. leleupi
Juli. regani, and Juli. dickfeldi)?

Deb2

AC Members
Jun 4, 2002
Folsom, CA
Visit site
Neolamp. tretocephalus are very aggressive when they pair up and they guard a huge territory (up to 3 ft. square) and will eliminate any other fish that ventures into that territory. As a single fish they are cool. Leluepis are great fish and such a beautiful yellow. If you must mix julies then get asmaller pair (ornatus, transcriptus, dickfeldi) and a larger pair (marleri, regani). There is less of a chance of hybridizing then.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store