Jack Dempsey question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ArkyLady

Addict In Training
Nov 27, 2002
Arkansas
I have a 55gal tank that has been the home for one 7" common pleco (not sure he'll grow more, hoping he does, but he's 2+ years old so we'll see). My first thought was to get an oscar, but I'd really rather wait until I get a larger tank setup for that.

So I go to the LFS to look at their JDs. Turns out they have some very nice ones too! I'd like to get a breeding pair, so I wanted to get six 2" juvies to help ensure that I end up with at least one good breeding pair. I'm talking to the LFS owner to see what he thinks about this plan and realized quickly that was pointless when he started explaining how I could keep even more than 6 JDs in the 55gal if I wanted to without any problems :eek:

I went ahead and bought the six 2" juvies on the hopes that they will start pairing off before they get too large for the 55gal and I can move the pair(s) to their own 55gal.

Will the JDs start to pair off before they outgrow the 55gal? The info I've found so far seems to indicate this should be the case, but hoping someone has experience with this so I can start working on other arrangements now if this won't work out.

Thanks! :)

Karnaaj

AC Members
Jan 7, 2005
Cincinnati, Oh
They should start pairing off at around four inches or so. More than likely the way you will find out is that you will wake up one morning and find the pair being the only ones left alive. Also a 55g would be the absolute minimum for a breeding pair. These guys can get 10 to 12 inches long.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store