Rainbow Cichlid

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nativelady76

nativelady76
Nov 29, 2004
minnesota
ok my question is i have 4 rainbow ciclids in exchange for these kenyi i had...my question is what other kinds of fish can go in the tank with them...can gourmi, guppies, ??? thanks

nativelady76

nativelady76
Nov 29, 2004
minnesota
55 gallon they chase the guppies now and then but just snap at them they have yet to catch any of them because the guppies like to stay either in the middle or the top of the tank

TONO

AC Members
Jan 5, 2005
any barb, firemouth cichlids, port acara, severums, geos, red tail or rainbow shark, angels, cupid cichlids, danios (large), some rainbows do ok.

ScottoMacD

Charlie and Amanda's Daddy
Dec 21, 2001
Vaudreuil-Dorion, Quebec, Canada
Rainbows

Rainbow cichlids (Herotilapia multispinosa) tend to be quite passive for cichlids. That changes however when breeding time comes around. Mine took on a 8 inch JD and a 7 inch texas and wouldn't back down until the big boys got fed up and gave up.

They are territorial but not aggressive. They will defend their territory almost to death before giving it up but will never start or pick the fight.

I have mixed them with all sorts of different fish over the years. Gouramis will be fine with them as long as
1) The tank is of fair size. Enough for everyone to stake out there own claim.
2) The gourami isn't a big brazen species that will attempt to pick a fight that it will utimatley loose. IE: Gold, opaline kissing.

I wouldn't put it with anything that can't defend itself or isn't fast enough to get out of the way of a charging rainbow that feels that it is protecting its space however. Guppies are a perfect example. They are just too happy go lucky fish that will pay no nevermind to the rainbows territory and then get its butt whooped.

Other than cichlids I have kept them with the following fish:
Hoplo Cat
Pictus cat
synodontis notiatus
Various barbs (large and small)
Rasboras
Gobies
Plecos
Gourami's (mostly pearls, but there was others on occasion)
Various rainbow fish
red tail sharks

As for cichlids:
Severums
T-Bars
firemouths
convicts
festivums
texas
jd (regular and blue)
tilapia bemini
blue acaras
red hump geos
apistos (various species) The male rainbow did kill a male apisto that raided the nest of free swimming fry though.

When breeding I always take them out of the 77 gallon and put them in one of the smaller tanks. Either the 20 long, 33 or 45. Basically the tanks that are stocked lighter and with bigger less aggressive fish that they won't try to kill.

nativelady76

nativelady76
Nov 29, 2004
minnesota
well ia m happy to report that upon returning home from work yesterday my convicts and rainbows laid eggs...not sure as to how many but if one makes it then i am happy...

nativelady76

nativelady76
Nov 29, 2004
minnesota
ok i have a question...last night i went home to find that my fish have broken out in ich... :( and i treated and still am with ich remover....the blue stuff...will that harm the eggs from hatching or no...the rainbows moved the eggs so now i dont know if they will survive or not...what do i do..

Karnaaj

AC Members
Jan 7, 2005
Cincinnati, Oh
If the fish are young more than likely the eggs will not even hatch. Most cichlids seem to go thru a few trial spawns before they have any success. And yes, the ich medication could very well have a negative effect on the eggs.

nativelady76

nativelady76
Nov 29, 2004
minnesota
well happy to report the eggs hatched...both rainbow and convict...just hope they survive..the rid-ich hasnt harmed them so far...lets hope it stays that way

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store