Bullying Rams

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mummynicks

AC Members
Jan 5, 2005
I have three rams in my community tank, 2 blue and 1 golden (was 2 golden up until yesterday). Both pairs were sold to me as 'pairs', but I am pretty sure that both the blue rams are male. One of the blue rams is a real bully, mainly to the other two rams, but he doesn't really care who he attacks, although it is mainly the poor little golden ram. The other male ram does not have much colour, however if the bully is removed he gets all his colour. I have read all the information I can find, and everywhere says that they are peaceful and should cause no problems. I don't know what to do to bring harmony back to my tank, so as everyfish is not hidding in corners. I thought maybe buying partners for them all might do the trick, but I might just end up making things worse.

Any suggestions??

cdawson

AC Members
Jan 6, 2003
Vancouver BC
Visit site
That's WAY too small for two pairs, no wonder one of the golden rams is dead. Not only that it's just way too small for 4 rams period. Two pairs isn't even a good idea in a 50g let alone a 15g.
1 pair of dwarf cichlids to a tank, they become lethal to alot of fish when they're a pair. Especially if they spawn. When they're a pair they work as a team to keep their territory clear of any invaders. Keep the pair of blue rams and return the golden ram. If you don't you won't need to worry about it, because the blue ram pair will take care of it for you.

labont865

This is drako, a friend of a friend
Nov 26, 2004
I differ on that!

I have two breeding pairs of blue rams in a 10gal at the moment!(temp. tank) And they surprisingly have both spawned since being moved into it! I have had no problems with aggression at all! Unless of course one of the other pair comes near the fry, then protectivness shows up! I think you might just have an overly aggressive fish! Or not enough places for shelter! I personally have a cave on either end of the tank with a fake plant near each entrance and the pairs have each claimed one of the plants and caves! As long as they dont go into eachother territory there is no problem at all, but even when it happens there is just alot of posturing, convulsing and flaring! Similar to their courtship "dance".

HoweverI do agree that ideally your tank is much to small to be the permanant home for four of these fish! You should get rid of one! I would personally take the problematic ram and the gold ram back! Try to find out the sex of the last one and by a mate for it! Then get a bigger tank as soon as you are able!

Karnaaj

AC Members
Jan 7, 2005
Cincinnati, Oh
Labont, your experience is nowhere near being typical. One pair to a ten gallon tank is fine but the fact that you can keep two pair is pure luck, and I doubt it will last for long.

Mummynicks, if you have a spare tank place the golden in there. If not see if the store you bought it from will take it back. Failing that you can try to rig up some sort of divider in the tank as a temporary solution.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store