Sturgeon diseases.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

matongflush

AC Members
Jun 18, 2004
Singapore
Visit site
I have found out on fishbase that siberian sturgeons (naturally???) have Enteric Redmouth Disease Bacterial diseases. These diseases can potentially spread to humans. Therefore, is it safe for one to raise siberian sturgeon, let alone handle one?

Aderynglas

AC Members
Feb 4, 2003
Visit site
As they grow to over 2 metres, who has a tank big enough to house one safely and comfortably? Don't forget they are from a cold area and wouldn't really tolerate heat. I suspect this is a problem only commercial farmers would have to worry about ;)

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
There's a wide variety of diseases which can cross species. There are methods of handling the animals which protects humans. Saltwater tanks are endemic with the bacteria that cause human marine tuberculosis (not the same as regular TB), but using gloves, taking care with open wounds, etc, makes it unlikely that someone's going to pick it up. Most serious diseases in humans crossed over from domestic mammals many years ago--and this still happens under certain conditions. So, technically, interacting with any sort of wild stock is not 100% safe. But, with care and knowledge, yes, it can be done safely. Protocols for handling animals, specifically sturgeon, are very specific in preventing the spread of disease not just animal to animal, but also to humans.

Aderynglas

AC Members
Feb 4, 2003
Visit site
matongflush, it wasn't obvious at all ;) I've seen adverts for them as pets:eek: you might be surprised at what some people would try to keep (alligators, crocodiles sturgeon etc) :eek:

N8DOGG

Peaches !!
Jul 5, 2004
NY
Visit site
Aderynglas said:
matongflush, it wasn't obvious at all ;) I've seen adverts for them as pets:eek: you might be surprised at what some people would try to keep (alligators, crocodiles sturgeon etc) :eek:
My old roommate and I had a alligator for a while and when my he lived in FL he had a gator tll it got 4feet and then he donated it to a gator farm. :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store