110 gal setup - cost & problems?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Richard Platts

AC Members
May 20, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
www.mrplatts.com
Question:

a co-worker has offered me a great sounding (I've yet to see it) 110 gal saltwater set-up. It is 2 55 gal tanks side by side in a custom stand. I plan on building overflows into the two tanks and then pumping both back up from a sump. I'm excited at the variety that this type of setup could afford me.

What are some foreseen drawbacks or complications?

$600 for stand, lights, tanks and filters sounds cheap to me. I'd have to take a look at everything included though.

what do you think?

FL Knifemaker

Arming the Free World
Oct 20, 2004
Central FL
To be honest with you, the actual tank in project this size will be one of the lesser expensive items you will need. If the lighting and filtration equipment you mentioned is from a freshwater set up, it will probably not be very good for a SW.

Personally, I would go with a single tank, preferably 125 that is drilled, plumbed with overflows and sump ready. These are things that you will probably wish you had done if you go with the setup you mentioned. Liverock, lighting and your filtration equipment is where you will have to spend the most money. I would much rather spend it outfitting a tank as I mentioned above.

Last edited:

Criminal_Colt

AC Members
Jan 28, 2005
Is it possible to have a SW 120 Gal tank (no coral) without a sump? Or would that just be silly and wishfull thinking?

Colt :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store