New Angels

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
Ok, since my sister is starting up a SW, she's convinced one of her friends to do the same....... however, he's got a couple of Angels that will be needing a new home. My sister thought it'd be a brilliant idea to offer them to my already established Angel home (55 gal). My problem is that I've already got 2 angels which seem happy enough in the tank and they've been tank mates since they were about the size of a dime and are about 2 years old now. She indicates that the "new" angels are quite smaller than mine (mine are 2 full egg-laying adults, over 4"). Would it be a bad idea to introduce these new guys to my tank since my guys have been tankmates from the very beginning? I just don't want to add any problems to my seemingly happy tank. :confused:

thanks for all replies ;)

Dobermann

AC Members
Oct 23, 1998
Boston, MA
www.geocities.com
Pas exactement

Angels even though quite delicate are still territorial cichlids.
The new additions will be severely harassed. Whether or not they make it is anyone's guess and will depend on their individual size and temperament.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
I seem to be leaning towards the "not adding the new ones" side of the spectrum at this point......

well, my male can have the tendancy to be quite aggressive, as past experience has proved this. Initially in my tank, there were 4 angels at one time but due to the aggressive behavior of my present male, I gave 2 of the originals up. So, my question would then be "if" there were any chance this would work, the new additions should be bigger than my 2? Or would you think that because of his past intolerance of other angels except his lady-angel, that I'd be better off keeping just the two of them......?

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
You mentioned both of your angels are egg laying adults.
oops, sorry to confuse the matter, 1 is a male, and the other a female....of course the female being the egg-layer. They are a breeding pair in that she has produced quite a few sets of eggs while he went and did his thing......but they have never gotten past the "eating them right up before anything hatched" stage.

Sum-X

La Dee Da Dee Do
Sep 15, 2001
Newark, Ohio
www.designerscrypt.com
Real Name
Aaron

I know they are territorial, when breeding... but for a 55 gallon, there should be no trouble... What other tank mates are there?

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
well, for tank mates I have:

aside from the 2 angels....

a few cory's (not sure what
type but they love to
lay eggs themselves)
1 pleco (common)
1 yellow (lemon) spotted pleco
2 common algae eaters
1 black red tailed shark
and 2 dwarf puffers

I know it would seem odd that the puffers and the angels reside in the same tank because of the tendency for the puffers to be fin-nippers but apparently, they live together quite peacefully.

Sum-X

La Dee Da Dee Do
Sep 15, 2001
Newark, Ohio
www.designerscrypt.com
Real Name
Aaron
Well, you gotta remember that it's a 55... That's why I think, that two more Angels, will do fine, especially since the ones you have now... are living peaceful with puffers... ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store