glass anemone!!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jalb

AC Members
Jan 19, 2005
:sad ok i have discoverd that my new tank is infested with the glass anemone which leads me to my second problem i need to get rid of them even tho i love anemons,,i took a piece of tubing and have beat a few to death is that a bad idea cause i soon seen slimy stuff on the top of my water,,is the slim bad,,is the slim what makes them reproduce so easy?,,i dont have a needle to inject with poisen or boiling water,,what do i do now i have had bad luck so far :laugh:

Gealcath

AC Members
Nov 9, 2003
Visit site
Aiptasia or "Glass Anemones" are tricky to handle. If you do NOT kill the Anemone in one single strike, you will only spread it worse. So "beating" them to death wont kill it, the Anemone you beat will still live and odds are it will make 3 or 4 clones of itsself in the process (essentially you are helping it reproduce by beating it).

sandiegan

AC Members
Dec 23, 2004
I've heard of some chemicals you can put in the water designed to kill the aps, but can't remember the names off hand. I have a big problem too, they're growing everywhere. I'm planning on getting 4-5 peppermint shrimp for my 30gal tank. Peps supposedly eat the aips, so we'll see.

cpn_aaron

recovering fishaholic
Mar 3, 2004
Melbourne, FL
Visit site
A syringe is easy to get. Petsmart or any other big pet outlet store has many oral syringes you can use to inject boiling water or a poison of sorts at the anemones.

Peppermint shrimp are supposed to work well, but I'd be careful how many I would add to the tank sandiegan. All shrimp are territorial and will resort to cannibalism (usually after one has molted) to eqaulize what they feel are the proper numebers of shrimp for the amount of space. Four or five for a 30 gal may be too many, and you could end up spending a lot of money to have the shrimp kill of two or three of them.

jalb

AC Members
Jan 19, 2005
well i couldnt find the peppermint shrimp but the pet store is gonnna get me a copper band butterfly fish tuesday and let me return it when im ready for the same purchease price cause!! i want to be able to have live rock and such so they are being nice thanks guys!!

sunfish11

Registered Member
Feb 2, 2005
I injected a few of the larger ones with boiling water using a medical syringe and it was very effective. Suck out the remains with a turkey baster or small syphon tube. Using this method, only do a few at a time so you don't cause an amonia spike if you accidentally leave pieces in the tank. After I killed a few this way I got a pair of peppermint shrimp and they went after the remainder of aiptasia within moments of being introduced. By morning there was only 1 out of around 15 left. The last one is a little larger. The shrimp eat chunks of it all the time but haven't quite killed it yet. Other options include Joes Juice, injecting kalk, and I have heard lemon juice as well.

Lisa

jcoopergd

AC Members
Nov 15, 2004
Be careful with both the 4-5 peppermints and the copperbanded butterfly -

first the peppermints - 4-5 is way to many in a 30gal...I had an aptasia outbreak, and i got 1 shrimp - he didnt touch them for about a week, then one day i saw him tugging on the aptasia - next day, i couldnt find a single one - and that was in a 40 gal.....so, 1 would proabbly work -

also, peppermint shrimp and camel shrimp look similar, and a lot of "uniformed" LFS will sell the camels as peppermint....then, you'd be waiting around for them to eat, and your aptasia will keep multiplying...

as far as the CPB - he'll do great, and its good that your LFS will take him back - but if you have a decent amount of LR, your might have a hard time catching him......

my two cents...:)

j

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store